Manage API Access Tokens section in account settings

GameNet

I would like to offer my users with manage api access token in my account section for creating or revoking API access tokens. Something the Facebook offer.

There are some requirements that’s must have included along with the feature!
  • Needed an option to enable Manage API Access Tokens section in account settings page for creating or revoking API access tokens.
  • Needed an option to enable for functional API docs. They can be accessed at your-site.com/api-docs url, there's also a link in account settings page.
  • it’s will needed to create a page in help section with detailing the guidelines for using the it’s API access token by users
  • Stuff should be able to approve or deny and revoking any API access tokens
  • Needed an option to require users to re-enter there password!
  • Needed extra security to make sure it’s doesn’t get leak and others
  • Developer Option: Add add-on supported for using there api endpoint
  • Needed a option to allow a specific set of scopes (Suggested by @digitalpoint)
  • Needed a user-group permission “Can generate api keys” (Suggested by @digitalpoint)
  • Needed to allow only one key per account and only for special user groups (Suggested by @digitalpoint )
This can be use for expending Login using [Your Site Name], Creating a mobile app/desktop app and others

Yes I already known there is api in adminCP but it’s not available for user end!

Links:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ction-in-account-settings.215863/post-1641029

here screenshot as example
IMG_0248.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 4
Looks like your suggestion is more in-depth than what I needed to build (I only allow a specific set of scopes, only one key per account and only for special user groups) , but FWIW this is what my solution looks like if anyone needs ideas:

There's a user group permission that dictates who can generate API keys:

1691513477388.webp

Admin can pick which API scopes are applied to user generated API keys:

1691513394433.webp

Users with the appropriate permission get an option to generate or change their API key from their account security page:

1691513580977.webp

API documentation is automatically generated for the scopes allowed on user generated keys:

Looks like your suggestion is more in-depth than what I needed to build (I only allow a specific set of scopes, only one key per account and only for special user groups) , but FWIW this is what my solution looks like if anyone needs ideas:

There's a user group permission that dictates who can generate API keys:
I am confused Are you building the add-on for your site? The reason I am asking because you have posted a reply with the screenshot?

if yes are you planning to release it on xenforo community?

I am confused Are you building the add-on for your site? The reason I am asking because you have posted a reply with the screenshot?

if yes are you planning to release it on xenforo community?
I built it a couple years ago. I was just tossing up screenshots to show how I went about it (for ideas in case XenForo does something similar natively).

Maybe someday, but as of right now there are no plans on releasing it at this point (there are 15 or 20 other internal addons that would be more useful for people).

I built it a couple years ago. I was just tossing up screenshots to show how I went about it (for ideas in case XenForo does something similar natively).

Maybe someday, but as of right now there are no plans on releasing it at this point (there are 15 or 20 other internal addons that would be more useful for people).
is any possibility you can share the add-on with me?

I can use the add-on on my gaming site

is any possibility you can share the add-on with me?

I can use the add-on on my gaming site
The issue with that is then I need to do what I'm trying to avoid (spending time cleaning it up for others to use). There's a lot more to do with add-ons intended for release vs. ones intended for in-house use.

Surprised there isn't already an addon (that's released) that does it. It's not terribly difficult, but I guess it's also more of a niche thing than most of the other stuff people want.

Top Bottom