XF 2.2 Malformed communication packet

spk100

All of a sudden my site started showing a server 500 error since today morning.
I am on a dedicated server so I asked my host to check and they could not figure out what it was. The server was restarted.

Then they shared this log

[04-Nov-2020 08:13:29 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: MySQL query error [1835]: Malformed communication packet in /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php:228
Stack trace:
#0 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(196): XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException('MySQL query err...', 1835, 'HY000')
#1 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(77): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException('MySQL query err...', 1835, 'HY000')
#2 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(94): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute()
#3 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(175): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query('\n\t\t\tSELECT data...', Array)
#4 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(138): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->fetchPairs('\n\t\t\tSELECT data...')
#5 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(83): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array)
#6 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(226): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array)
#7 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1753): X in /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php on line 228
[04-Nov-2020 08:13:29 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: MySQL query error [1835]: Malformed communication packet in /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php:228
Stack trace:
#0 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(196): XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException('MySQL query err...', 1835, 'HY000')
#1 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(77): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException('MySQL query err...', 1835, 'HY000')
#2 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(94): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute()
#3 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(175): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query('\n\t\t\tSELECT data...', Array)
#4 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(138): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->fetchPairs('\n\t\t\tSELECT data...')
#5 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(83): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array)
#6 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(226): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array)
#7 /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1753): X in /home/tambram/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php on line 228

They also said the search_index table was corrupted so it was emptied.

I disabled all plugins via config.php

But still the site is showing server 500 error and is not working.

Any idea what could be the problem?

I reported it on the cPanel forum as well, and other people are experiencing the same:

I'm using MariaDB 10.3.26. Working fine for all versions of PHP 7.x.

Why not upgrade MariaDB rather than messing around with downgrading or changing PHP?

I'm using MariaDB 10.3.26. Working fine for all versions of PHP 7.x.

Why not upgrade MariaDB rather than messing around with downgrading or changing PHP?
Are you using cPanel? On cPanel, it breaks more than just PHP, as it's affecting Perl also and crucially cPanel's own ability to interact with the database:

Official response from cPanel is now to upgrade PHP: https://support.cpanel.net/hc/en-us/articles/360056803454

If it affects more than PHP, they may be missing some information or perhaps it doesn't affect everyone in the same way.
They have split their response.

The other article lists why it also affects cPanel itself, and the requirement to downgrade MariaDB.

Top Bottom