Lack of interest Making Style Properties reset to modified version

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

holder10

Hi.

Let's say I'm creating a style with a modified color palette and a few template changes. I'm sharing this style with the nice folks here at XenForo.com and some of the users decide to play around with the color palette a little more. After a few experiments, they decide to hit the "Reset" button. From what I have observed, the color palette is now reset to the very original colors (the one of the default style, not from the one they downloaded and modified).
I don't think this should be the case and would love to have a way to set the style properties of my theme as the 'original' ones for that theme that the system can reset to.

Does this make sense? :D

Thanks,
Lennart

PS: Please stop me if anything I'm suggesting here is already possible - I couldn't find a way so far.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So once a style is exported those would be the final colors to be based off the reset? :) Would be helpful if it's not already setup that way, haven't looked into it too much

Exactly - although ideally, this shouldn't just be the case with colors, but with all style properties.

In my tests, this sadly wasn't how it behaved yet. :/

I like it the way it is... maybe try telling people to create a child style before editing the colours or style properties, that's how I would do it.

The way you propose would disrupt the "style hierarchy"

Master Style
Style 1​
Style 3​
Style 2​

I just think that this feature doesn't make much sense from a user point of view if it's only possible to reset to the default style. So I think there should be at least some way to reset to the original imported theme properties.

Maybe I'm thinking this all wrong. Couldn't you just use the additional css box within the style properties and retain the original style? And if need be, make use the EXTRA.css template to retain the original. I'm probably misunderstanding what your suggesting here.

Maybe I'm thinking this all wrong. Couldn't you just use the additional css box within the style properties and retain the original style? And if need be, make use the EXTRA.css template to retain the original. I'm probably misunderstanding what your suggesting here.

The suggestion here is say you were to import my mobile style, then if you went in and did a lot of changes to the navigation template. If you decided that you wanted to revert the template, as it stands right now it would revert to the default xenforo navigation template rather than the mobile navigation when you originally imported it.

This suggestion would make it so any reverts you do would go back to the original mobile style you imported, rather than the stock xenforo.

I just realized a flaw in this idea actually(even though I still like it), while upgrading the forum board to say RC3 from RC2, the reverts help you establish what changes were made from the default xenforo templates. With this method the reverts wouldn't show any of the additional template changes, such as the hook locations in the RC3 templates.

The best is going to be creating a child style to the custom style. Doing it that way you can revert to the original custom style if I remember correctly. It is always good practice to make a child style to customize so you don't mess the original templates up and you can revert if things do not work out.

Maybe there needs to be style tutorial thread so this information can be seen by all.

Top Bottom