Lack of interest Make Permalinks permanent

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

rellek

Hi,

I've got a little suggestion. I would love it if those nice speaking URLs could be set to be permanent. In my XF, I have several threads where we discuss about software. I always adjust the title when a new update is released, so you can see the current version from the thread list.
However, this kills the Permalink and therefore any Facebook-likes and +1s.

So I would appreciate, if I (as a moderator) could set a bit that the Permalink can be set freely and is set then. Like in WordPress maybe.

Example: I've got a thread:
Title: News and Discussion about XenForo - Current Version: 1.1 Beta 2
Permalink: /news-and-discussion-about-xenforo-current-version-1-1-beta-2.12345/

When Beta 3 is released, I'll adjust the title:
Title: News and Discussion about XenForo - Current Version: 1.1 Beta 3
And this will change the permalink to:
Permalink: /news-and-discussion-about-xenforo-current-version-1-1-beta-3.12345/

Making it another thread to all those external social media.
So I would love to be able to change this permalink, maybe to
/news-and-discussion-about-xenforo.12345/
Once I set this, it should never be "updated" again (until I decide otherwise) when I change the title.

Default case may remain as it is right now.

Thank you for listening.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hi,

I've got a little suggestion. I would love it if those nice speaking URLs could be set to be permanent. In my XF, I have several threads where we discuss about software. I always adjust the title when a new update is released, so you can see the current version from the thread list.
However, this kills the Permalink and therefore any Facebook-likes and +1s.

So I would appreciate, if I (as a moderator) could set a bit that the Permalink can be set freely and is set then. Like in WordPress maybe.

Example: I've got a thread:
Title: News and Discussion about XenForo - Current Version: 1.1 Beta 2
Permalink: /news-and-discussion-about-xenforo-current-version-1-1-beta-2.12345/

When Beta 3 is released, I'll adjust the title:
Title: News and Discussion about XenForo - Current Version: 1.1 Beta 3
And this will change the permalink to:
Permalink: /news-and-discussion-about-xenforo-current-version-1-1-beta-3.12345/

Making it another thread to all those external social media.
So I would love to be able to change this permalink, maybe to
/news-and-discussion-about-xenforo.12345/
Once I set this, it should never be "updated" again (until I decide otherwise) when I change the title.

Default case may remain as it is right now.

Thank you for listening.
Change the thread title to News and Discussion about XenForo and put the current version in the description?!

@Brogan
I know this, but it will reset like-, tweet- and +1-counter. And it spams Google with 301-headers (which is, Google said, no problem, on the other hand, W3C says "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI).

@James
You mean editing the first post? But it's not very visible then at the thread list page. And I don't really like editing posts from other users...

@Brogan
I know this, but it will reset like-, tweet- and +1-counter. And it spams Google with 301-headers (which is, Google said, no problem, on the other hand, W3C says "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI).

@James
You mean editing the first post? But it's not very visible then at the thread list page. And I don't really like editing posts from other users...
I'd just write the current version at the top of the thread myself.

BTW, W3C states that cool URIs don't change because changing URIs breaks links. When XenForo's thread titles change, the links change but the ID remains - therefore nothing breaks.

By the way, there is one more problem with permanent links.
For example, in any theme on 3 page there is an interesting post. It is necessary to give the reference to this post to someone that it always could get on it. The permanent link on it is generated as a site/path to forum/threads/title.100/page-3#11111. We send, for example, in the e-mail this reference to the friend.
Then we needed to transfer this post to other theme. The given post is for this purpose allocated and is transferable it in a new theme. Then we unite a new theme from the necessary. At association we put a constant redirection. Now the permanent link looks as a site/path to forum/threads/title.80/page-2#11111.
The friend who has received the e-mail, decides to follow the link, specified in the e-mail. Unfortunately, though it also will get on the theme containing the given post, but won't get on this post. And, if the constant redirection wasn't, to it in general would be specified that such theme doesn't exist! And after all was to give the reference in a kind a site/path to a forum/posts/11111 enough. Then the friend really always could get on the necessary post.

Thus the permanent link actually isn't a constant. Variants of a solution of a problem?

I can. But my users are not. They think that permanent links really are constants.
I think that processing of references should be conducted nevertheless depending on post number, instead of theme names, its number and pages where this post has been placed. If actually the permanent link isn't that easier at once to generate the reference in a kind site/path to forum/posts/number. Whether Not so?

This many years later, and this seems to be an issue still? After installing Waindigo's "Newest Post First" plugin the "page-nn" part in the "permalink" is not properly reflected, and so on a thread that has ten pages, the permalinks of the messages on the first page now say ".../page-10/...".

Indeed, "/posts/nnnnn" format would solve this. Why is the "page-nn" format still in use in the permalink?

This many years later, and this seems to be an issue still? After installing Waindigo's "Newest Post First" plugin the "page-nn" part in the "permalink" is not properly reflected, and so on a thread that has ten pages, the permalinks of the messages on the first page now say ".../page-10/...".

Indeed, "/posts/nnnnn" format would solve this. Why is the "page-nn" format still in use in the permalink?

Agreed, a permalink should be a permalink. Full-stop. I can't find good documentation on how to remove the page-nn format in all places.

The paging goes off as well if postings are merged into a thread, or if postings are deleted.
We have threads that are ten pages or more, where only the current postings are timely, but there is a reason why they are all in the same thread. It's totally reasonable for us to want the current postings first (like with facebook or Instagram), and that makes the page number in the permalink destroy the link.

I saw elsewhere that there was a reason xenForo put the page number in there, but just because there was a reason, that doesn't make it a good reason. It should be removed. And it would be good if it could be removed from all the existing permalinks.

Top Bottom