make patches available to wget or curl

rebelde

It would be nice if patch files were available for wget or curl. Then patching would be as simple as the instructions that you show us, something like:

wget xenforo.com/patches/xf-patch-219.zip
unzip xf-patch-219.zip -d /your-forum-root

Currently, when there is a patch, it is a little more work for me. I download it to my computer, unzip it to look at the contents, look up the correct scp syntax, scp, then unzip.

I understand this won't work for all patches, but it would have worked fine with today's.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

There's nothing to stop you from downloading the patch using wget as it is. I notice that by default wget downloads it as index.html but I think that's an issue with wget not reading our header which sets the expected file name. You can fix that by using the -O option with the wget command:

Code:
root [/home/chris] # wget -O xf-patch-219.zip https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/xf-patch-219-zip.223660/
--2020-04-29 15:55:07--  https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/xf-patch-219-zip.223660/
Resolving xenforo.com... 104.20.87.95, 104.20.86.95
Connecting to xenforo.com|104.20.87.95|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4464 (4.4K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘xf-patch-219.zip’

xf-patch-219.zip    100%[===================>]   4.36K  --.-KB/s    in 0s      

2020-04-29 15:55:07 (20.5 MB/s) - ‘xf-patch-219.zip’ saved [4464/4464]

Huh. It works! I never tried. I assumed that, since it is in the forums, that a login was required.

In this case, I recommend documenting what you said somewhere if not done already.

Thanks, as always!

I don't think we'd really be expecting many people to be downloading anything via wget.

We rarely have patches available in this way (only for security related fixes which are rare) and even if we release a patch we'd expect customers who are already using XF 2.1 to just use the one-click upgrade system to download the patch.

Maybe I always patch immediately. I'm used to seeing "upgrade to xx" messages, but I don't recall ever seeing one-click "patch now". That really is the best, you are right. I can't really do an upgrade on a Wednesday morning, but I can always install a patch that way.

Top Bottom