Make other members appear as Staff and create secret moderators

Make other members appear as Staff and create secret moderators

Note that if one of your moderators unchecks "Allow other people to see what page you are currently viewing" in their preferences, they no longer show up in the "staff online" list. Don't know whether that's expected behavior, but if it is, it probably shouldn't be.

They appear in the list if you are viewing as another mod or admin, but not to regular users or visitors.

To make a member appear as Staff, they have to be explicitly made a Moderator (or Administrator).
However, if you don't add them to the Moderating (or Administrative) user group or give them any permissions, their current user title and permissions remain as they are and the only difference is they show up as Staff.

The only drawback is those members will be able to see the Moderator Toolbar but they won't have access to any reports or any inline mod tools.

If you make someone an Administrator without adding them to the group or giving them any explicit permissions, they will have access to the ACP but only the server error logs and caches.

To make someone a secret moderator, i.e. a member who doesn't appear as Staff, just add them to the Moderating user group as a secondary group without explicitly making them a moderator.
Their user title will however change to Moderator if the display styling priority is higher but it can be manually changed back.

The drawback in this case is the Moderator Toolbar is not available for those users but the inline mod tools are.

Of course to make someone Staff and have access to the Moderator Toolbar then make them a moderator and add them to the Moderating user group.
Bold part: is that still true with Beta 5? Because adding members into the Moderating primary or secondary user groups no longer seems to have any moderator controls available.

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ss-to-the-moderator-toolbar.7956/#post-127499

Bold part: is that still true with Beta 5? Because adding members into the Moderating primary or secondary user groups no longer seems to have any moderator controls available.
I'll have to check and update the first post accordingly.

None of my mods can see the Reports no matter what I do for them.
If you explicitly make a member a moderator then they should be able to access the reports.

If you explicitly make a member a moderator then they should be able to access the reports.

What good is a Super Mod then? And I have them checked also as Super Mods so we'll see if unchecking does the trick. Seems to me, though, that Super Mods > Mods.

Super Moderators have power over the whole board/forum.
Normal Moderators have power in specific forums.

Okay that's what I thought. I can't get ANY of the mods to show up. I have to be doing something wrong.

If this is an import, try deleting all the moderators and adding them again.
I've seen that resolve the problem a few times.

If this is an import, try deleting all the moderators and adding them again.
I've seen that resolve the problem a few times.
This. Much grief until I deleted them then re-added them.

Might want to consider splitting the thread? (not sure)

That did the trick but man was it a pain. I had to bust them all back to Registered User, clear the DB of Content Mods and recreate it all.

Thanks for the patience.

Only Administrators can manage users as it requires ACP access.

Moderators can ban users using the Spam Cleaner tool only.

Some of our 'normal users' will help us with the board translation.
Can I give them admin access to edit the phrases etc, but without showing up as staff?

To enable access to the ACP you will have to make them an Administrator and that will automatically make them staff.

Not for administrators, no.

As I explained above, they will automatically be made staff.

Another question: I have a user who moderates one single forum. Is there a way to keep him out of the "staff online" box?
I gave special rights to him to make sticky posts in his area and didn't make him member of any mod group but he is still in the box.

Members only appear in Staff Online if you make them a moderator or administrator.

You can assign permissions to stick posts etc. using the node permissions.
I have done this with a few of my members and they don't appear as staff.

Top Bottom