Make 'active_recently' check tunable

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
This value is currently hard coded to 6 months, but I think making it tunable will be useful so that admins themselves can define what is classed as recently active, or even disable that functionality should they see fit.

I know it is tunable from an add-on developer's perspective, in that the code allows for an integer value to be passed to it to define active_recently in our own code, but I think the core functions such as birthdays and auto complete would benefit from similar control.

Upvote 25
I think the current implementation is confusing and not particularly good UX.

Auto complete not functioning for some members (inactive) will cause confusion amongst end users and result in erroneous bug reports.

I agree this is confusing. Thought it was a bug. Makes sense for larger forums, but on smaller ones when you are trying to search for so and so who you haven't seen for a while, then you can't even find their member name in the search dialog for their latest posts, it's sort of confusing.

This is off topic but post-2.1 we hope to implement a custom system for managing suggestions. Something that is still based on threads and “votes” (likes) but in a more obvious and user friendly way.

It’s something we’ve been discussing for a while and have some ideas for.

This value is currently hard coded to 6 months, but I think making it tunable will be useful so that admins themselves can define what is classed as recently active, or even disable that functionality should they see fit.
With more add-ons utilising this function and its default value, making it ACP configurable is very beneficial.
Additionally, I don't agree that 6 months is a reasonable time period to call a member active. 3 months at most!

Top Bottom