Browser issue Main navigation bar overlay bug

sbj

Affected version
Firefox 63.0.1
Win 8.1

This bug happens sporadically, when a page is being loaded and one scroll down before it was loaded 100%, the overlay of the navigation bar is somehow buggy like this. After a small period of time when the page is loaded, that bug disappears. It is hard to trigger this bug. Usually I need to close my Firefox and open it again to get this bug, probably a cache thingy. I'll try to capture it on video.

1541441327819.webp

You see a very quick example of this here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sometimes it disappears as quick as you see it on here, sometimes it lingers longer.

FWIW, I'm about 98% sure this is a browser bug. They do a lot of compositing and layering. We do adjust z-indexes at some point so that could theoretically be involved, but we've had 2 reports in the last week where we haven't made fundamental changes to the approach of this, such that it makes me think this is a Firefox change/regression.

I also think it is related to Firefox only. In the past I also reported that Firefox screenshot device also captures the sticky navigation bar, which is actually annoying. And I was told that it is a Firefox thing. I can imagine that Firefox has its problems with the sticky navigation bar in general.

This bug is actually a minor thing, nothing important about it. I just wanted to report it for its own sake.
I could trigger it also with the new 2.1 version on here.
I will keep an eye on this for future Firefox updates, maybe they will solve it and I'll update this, if sth. changes.

Looking a little more closely at this, I'm not essentially positive this is a browser rendering/compositing issue. I can see the shadow on the sticky nav which would indicate a higher z-index. I don't think there's anything we can really do about this.

I understand. Well this "browser issue" is more prevalent since the upgrade to 2.1 because of the new avatars. I encounter it all the time. Just reporting back. I understand that there can't be done much though.

Last edited:
Stickykit is awful. Could be related to that library I find little stutters and render issues with it all the time.

Top Bottom