Made the jump from SMF

28ten

Finally done it :) on Friday I took down my SMF board and converted to XF.
The process was wasnt the easiest, after much testing I still couldnt get Impex to import all the SMF attachments, so I ended up going from SMF>PHPBB>VB4(impex) >XF :eek: this process does work and I got all the attachments (5gb) into XF without any loss. The only things I lost were passwords and avatars, the latter isnt a problem but the passwords have been more of an issue for some more awkward members :)
I would have loved some of the 1.1 features but I decided to stick with 1.0 as it is a known quantity, and generally my members really like the change, and I find the admin much easier.
Nice one XF (y)

Thanks chaps, One point worth making is that I made some screencasts for my members explaining the password recovery process, which really helped the process. There have been very few complaints and people have just got on with posting, which is a good sign, I think the clean interface really helps as imho 95% of users just dont want/need 'bells and whistles' it is just about communication.
Roll on 1.1 stable and thread prefixes.....

Should have grabbed the SMF password puller I released in the addon forum. Although going through that many importers it may not have worked.

Should have grabbed the SMF password puller I released in the addon forum. Although going through that many importers it may not have worked.
SMF to PHPbb was fine it was when I went to impex things went wrong :mad: and I just couldnt get impex to import all the SMF attachments.
It was also interesting to note that the attachments now take up 3.5gb as opposed to 5gb with SMF which is a real bonus.

Yeah I didn't allow attachments on SMF so that saved me some time I'm sure. Glad you got through it without pulling your hair out though. It can be a frustrating process.

you made the right choice (y)losing the password can be an awful thing for many members. Just try to put an alert in the top of the login form informing them to change thier password. If you have any question feel free to ask!

Top Bottom