MacBook Pro - What do you make of it?

HoddzDJ

Okay so I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro for a new machine. My girlfriend has an iMac so I am used to the way the OS works and the differences between Windows and Apple but I'd like to know your opinion if you own a MacBook (any type). I've had my dell laptop now for over three years and it is tediously slow and I just want to get rid of it!

I am surprised how powerful the mac book air is, a 13" mac book air might actually be my preference currently over the mac book pro 13" or 15".

The pro machines are awesome. hook up an external monitor at home and it's a full fledged workstation.

I have a MacBook Pro and would not go back to using any other laptop now regardless of the extra cost in staying with Apple. It's not really down to the OS for me (I have found a Mac to be no more reliable or crash free than Windows 7), it's more the design and ergonomics, specifically the touch/trackpad which is brilliant to use and really huge - makes such a difference - plus the keyboard. It's also so easy to sleep/unsleep - just shut the lid - and when you open it, it comes back immediately. With Bootcamp and Windows 7 installed I also have the best of both worlds.

Everytime I use someone else's laptop, even the latest HP and Dells, I struggle with the trackpad, the screen and the keyboard.

A lot has been said about the aluminium case, I thought this was just for show at the start but having taken my laptop through some pretty tough scenarios including being thrown about in a car boot and handled with muddy hands on holiday it's come in handy too.

Awesome! Thanks both of you for your replies! My MacBook Pro is going to be delivered tomorrow and if I was to say I am excited, it would be a very big understatement! I can't wait. I have also been looking into some software for it and think I have found about 5 programs that I'm gonna need, but it's gonna be a fun time for me over the coming weeks/months/years!

I have had a 13" Mac Book Pro for about two years. It has a core2duo processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 360 gb HD. It is a VERY fast and reliable laptop. I have traveled with it extensively. It has a ding on the top of the aluminum case where it was handled roughly by baggage handlers. It still works perfectly. I purchased mine due to the high resolution and image quality of the display. I am considering a new 15" model with the core i7 quad processor with the high resolution display with anti-glare. I do a fair amount of video editing with Premier Pro and the extra power would be useful.

I still have a healthy Dell laptop when I am forced to use something that only works on Windows. It is painful to go back.

I also have an iMac here on my desk. The same comments apply except, the laptop is a little faster. Go figure?

For me, Macs are worth the extra cost.

Jeff

Well my MacBook Pro arrived today, about an our ago and my god I love it already! So much better than a Windows (yeah, I knew that already) but I think I'm gonna become a full on Mac lover and totally ditch Windows, aha! So glad I made the switch.. it's so obvious to me now but so many people just one their Windows I guess... silly folk in my opinion =]

Well my MacBook Pro arrived today, about an our ago and my god I love it already! So much better than a Windows (yeah, I knew that already) but I think I'm gonna become a full on Mac lover and totally ditch Windows, aha! So glad I made the switch.. it's so obvious to me now but so many people just one their Windows I guess... silly folk in my opinion =]
What MBP do you have? I ordered mine too but have to wait till next month :(

Macs are deadbeat for gamers and extreme power users. Otherwise it's pretty good. My 2008 iMac is collecting dust now, the performance is pretty bad for today's standard. If I had the cash I might get a macbook air, just for the light things. <Pun?>I like the OS itself but I've got a very powerful desktop running windows which can handle my other demanding needs.

The more I compare the Mac Pro and iMac stats from the other year against Mac Mini and Mac Book Air.

To be honest, I can't wait for Tim Cook to pimp out the Mac Book Air ala Mac Book Pro and discontinue the Pro line. Simplify it by saying: We have a 11 / 13 / 15 inch laptop (the air).

They're a bit expensive, but I think the build quality is really good. They are well designed, too. I have an Air, but I still always have a dedicated Windows machine, too. As much as I like Mac OS X, I still always need Windows for various purposes.

The more I compare the Mac Pro and iMac stats from the other year against Mac Mini and Mac Book Air.

To be honest, I can't wait for Tim Cook to pimp out the Mac Book Air ala Mac Book Pro and discontinue the Pro line. Simplify it by saying: We have a 11 / 13 / 15 inch laptop (the air).

Not.. Gonna.. Happen... And you know it ;)

Okay so I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro for a new machine. My girlfriend has an iMac so I am used to the way the OS works and the differences between Windows and Apple but I'd like to know your opinion if you own a MacBook (any type). I've had my dell laptop now for over three years and it is tediously slow and I just want to get rid of it!
I've had my Macbook Pro for about two years now, it it by far the best damned laptop I've ever owned! (y)

Over the years I've used everything from a TI TravelMate 2000 to an IBM ThinkPad to a high end HP "Elitebook" none of them ever came close to matching the Macbook in reliability and performance.

Love my mac book pro, it's fast it's durable and it runs the software I need including gaming. I've owned Thinkpads, HP laptops and Lenovo laptops and none of them compare.

Aww, all these positive reactions make me wanna use my Macbook Pro more, but it's orderen and will be delivered in 1 month :(

Aww, all these positive reactions make me wanna use my Macbook Pro more, but it's orderen and will be delivered in 1 month :(
Wow a month :/ I'm so spoiled I just went down to the apple store in town got my RAM from another local store and took it home!

Wow a month :/ I'm so spoiled I just went down to the apple store in town got my RAM from another local store and took it home!

Well, if I wanted I'd go the the Apple store first thing in the morning and get one :D
But I bought a Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz for the price of the Macbook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz (Which is a 400€ discount) so I wait a month for that ;)

Top Bottom