Lost messages

Ksentile

One of my users has lost his replies infrequently but multiple times when replying to threads.

He gets the following error message: Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.

No server side error log messages or other abnormalities as far as I can tell.

What could be at fault?

That message is typically when leaving a browser tab open for an extended period of time.

If drafts are being auto saved then the editor content won't be lost.

That message is typically when leaving a browser tab open for an extended period of time.

Could the software provide a more informative error message if that is the case?

I can confirm that the user had written long posts, and this in particular is a problem that rubs: it's a lot of lost work.

Maybe the forum software could check if there had been something in the saved drafts and try to inform the user that it can be re-accessed because after these error prompts it seems easy to lose the otherwise finished message completely.

The saved draft content will be present in the editor when the page is refreshed or they navigate back to the thread/page (assuming you have the save time set to a sufficient period).

It sounds like the member just needs educating on how it works.

assuming you have the save time set to a sufficient period
  • Store drafts for 24 hours
  • Save drafts every 60 seconds

It sounds like the member just needs educating on how it works.

This doesn't seem to be the issue. I will summarily quote the member's reply to me after I asked him to look into your instructions:

None of it makes much sense to me. I reacted by doing what the message said.

On other sites I have logged off half way through and come back and the reply is still there.

Its probably me being a lo-tech, or the fact that the signal here is atrocious (3G). But I do notice my computer seems to struggle more loading this site than some others.

Can choppy signal at a remote location lead to some information processing error?

I'm not sure what the loading issue could be about either, if there is any relation. My custom theme has some images for decoration, but these are well-optimized for their size.

Top Bottom