Looking for alpha testers (popular add-on)

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

[Update] We have enough testers for stage 1 and stage 2, thanks everybody.

We're looking for a handful of people to help alpha test the next version of the popular add-on made by Ceri, Fuhrmann, and myself, with contributions from Kier and other friends.

(be prepared to read a lot)

Please reply to this post if you are interested and familiar enough with XenForo to install a test instance on your own, and you can install and uninstall add-ons. And if you are familiar with most of the terminology. It's not required to know how to code for XenForo.

The XenFans Popular Content add-on was a premium product and not free. But during 2011 we've made it available to all the registered members. Through all of their feedback we've had a wish list and Fuhrmann has helped realize most of them. An update was published with version 1.0.5 that works on both XenForo 1.0 and 1.1.

Since then we haven't been able to continue work much on the plugin, besides having an internal release for development. But I had some time this week to address some of the bugs and make it work and get more familiar with it again myself. And that means we're ready to do some private alpha testing. Hopefully with your help.

Disclaimer: This is alpha, do not run on a live web site. We assume you run this on a site you can throw away with content that's not important to you.

Here are some screenshots of the working version 1.1.2 build 13, made on Friday the 13th, 2012. For XenForo 1.1.2 Stable. With just two blocks installed for testing (but comes with at least 5 pre-installed)

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.40.40 PM.webp

You can import and export blocks, disable or enable imported blocks. This is great for just using what you need, to temporary turn a block off, or to make your own and share those with others.

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.39.29 PM.webp
We already have a few
Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.39.42 PM.webp

Each block has their own set of options to give the admin some control over how to make the popular page unique for their own site.
Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.40.11 PM.webp

But there are also global settings to help you control how the actual page is going to be on your particular board:
Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.38.54 PM.webp

Anyway, if you are interested in running this on your site now, you could get the popular add-on as it is now, or participate in the alpha test to get a copy at some point this year after we get some feedback from you.

We're looking for a handful of alpha testers to get constructive feedback, to help find bugs, and help improve the user interface and user experience based on someone else but us just using it for a while.
You can reply to this thread, or private msg me.

Yeah, that's all nice and well Floris, but how about you go waste someone else their time?

Okay, incentive for the alpha testers is needed; clearly.

- Someone can get 5 bucks over paypal for reporting 5 bugs (as long as they're not duplicate)
- Someone can get 5 bucks over paypal for posting 5 constructive user-interface improvements that are realistic to do within the current xenforo system
- Someone can get 5 bucks over paypal for posting 5 unique feature requests that are realistic to code within the current xenforo system.
- Ah heck, we will give away one xenforo license to one of the alpha testers that has provided bug reports or feedback. At this point I can't say if it's a secondhand license or a completely new one.

Note please that we only count 'feedback' or 'bug report' posts in a private board you will get access to. For example: posting a bug in privmsg to me, or in this thread will not count.

Disclaimer: If this thread isn't suitable for XenForo.com and a mod removes or closes it, then this request for alpha testers is no longer valid.

Alpha Testers: Stage 1;

Added: Ragtek - PC sent.
Added: RobParker - PC sent.
Added: guiltier - PC sent.
Added: TheVisitors - PC sent.
Added: SchmitzIT - PC sent.
Added: Phillip - PC sent.
Added: robdog - PC sent.
Added: stewart1champ - PC sent.

Alpha Testers: Stage 2;

Added: Minecraft Server - PC sent.
Added: Reeve of Shinra - PC sent.
Added: DaveL - PC sent.
Added: DerTobi75 - PC sent.
Added: Veer - PC sent.

I'd like in please :-)

Ran the previous version but decided to uninstall it when xenfans went into archive mode so would love to pick it up again and help out.

I'd be willing to test this for you.

I can also see how this will play out on cross system... ie.... How it will play out on different OS (Debian, Ubuntu, Cloud Linux), php 5.3, php 5.4, MySQL 5.5, MySQL 5.6, cPanel, DirectAdmin, No control panel, xcache, apc, file cache, no cache....ect....

Really looking forward to seeing this completed and released Floris, it is top on my list of must-have add-ons, I think sharing popular content is a critical part of any forum :)

Really looking forward to seeing this completed and released Floris, it is top on my list of must-have add-ons, I think sharing popular content is a critical part of any forum :)
Thanks, I hope to find the time and money to get this from alpha to beta (beta will be public download).
Are you interested in testing the alpha?

Floris, I'd be willing to test this. No problems. Let me know...

-Same as above, used previous version, but removed at a later date....

Thanks, I hope to find the time and money to get this from alpha to beta (beta will be public download).
Are you interested in testing the alpha?

I only have a live Xenforo site, so, reading what you said above, no, sorry. When it reaches a point where it is considered safe in a live environment, yes, or I'll wait until it is released if not and purchase it then.

We now have enough alpha testers for the current build.

Thanks everybody for the interest.

Hey everybody, first of all I want to thank the alpha testers from stage 1 for a great first week. I've been able to address a bunch of code issues myself. Making it a working version I could share with the alpha testers. Who have been great with providing feedback, code contributions, fixes, bug reports, suggestions and helped me with brainstorming.

We've had 5 builds since then, each with 5 to 7 items addressed. From small to larger bugs, or simply new features.

A quick list, before I get to inviting up to 5 more to join the alpha team for stage 2.

Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 11.33.00 PM.webp

Those who have participated are free to stick around, we're not done yet!

Now, for alpha stage 2, I am looking for people that are interested in alpha testing this plugin and know enough about XenForo to try and help out as well.

Top Bottom