Look! How they've implemented Animated Avatars...

Grover

Look at this overview and see the Avatar of 'DaKat':
http://xenforo.com/community/members/dakat.245/recent-content

Then... go to her Member Card or her profile. Her Avatar comes alive!

I assume this is designed this way on purpose? I love it! I hate it when forums allow animated gifs as Avatars, because it totally destroys the focus on the postings! With xenForo -apparently- you can have animated Avatars, but they only come alive in your Profile and Member Card. Thus, leaving the threads in peace.

If this is indeed designed with these thoughts in mind, then I -once again- make a big compliment to the developers of this outstanding userinterface. I am impressed. Finally a forum package that understands the essential value of the user-experience! :cool:

vB has too many features that aren't used for 80% of boards. XF needs to try and stay away from putting too many optional features in, I'm sure a lot of things will be available in easy to install mods :)

Why not? There all of kind of sites/forums out there which there users' demands are vary. XF must provide all different demands for all tastes.
One thing that I love about vB is how many options it has for it's different features.

See? People needs and wishes are not the same, what some of use do not like, we may find them most needed at others. XF must take that into consideration to fill everybody's need.

Sure, I understand where you are coming from. But what I am saying is that functionality that is excellent by default, should not really need yet another switch to change it. If it can be done with a template edit or plugin, then this also should work for those people that want to change default functionality that is already excellent (and thus doesn't need to be changed by a switch for the majority of customers).

Sure, I understand where you are coming from. But what I am saying is that functionality that is excellent by default, should not really need yet another switch to change it. If it can be done with a template edit or plugin, then this also should work for those people that want to change default functionality that is already excellent (and thus doesn't need to be changed by a switch for the majority of customers).

True. But not all the site owners are can make template modifications/add-ons. And having such add-ons but others is not guaranteed. Even if there an add-on for adding some feature, it unlikely it will be supported forever or for every new release/update/upgrade.
There is nothing like a built-in feature within the product itself.

No, I think the general consensus is that we're happy it doesn't work in posts. They really slow down the loading of threads and can be quite distracting when you're trying to read posts.

Having them work only in the profile is just fine. :D
Yes!

Yes, that is true, but it we be nice to be able to switch such feature on or off. That's the idea. :D

No! Perhaps someone could create a mod for you?

Does the forum you run provide "all different demands for all tastes", or do you focus on a certain audience?

:confused:

Well, I don't have a forum company, and I don't develop and sell forum product, so I don't have many customers with different demands.
My point is, when you sell a product like XF forum or vB or IPB, you have customers who run different/many types of sites with certain audience which they vary from a forum/site to another. :)
And I focus on a certain audience which they demand what other forums don't provide, and I provide what they ask for. :D

I hope I made my point clear as I'm very sleepy and having a hard time reviewing what I wrote. :confused:

I understood what you meant, completely. But regardless of what xf becomes or does not become, it will not be perfect for everyone. For that to happen modifications will need to be made.

• If the software is kept as streamlined and fast as possible for the majority of the forum owners things could be added as needed.
  • If many things are added that few will use and it becomes slow, the majority of forum owners may not like it.

I hope I made my point clear as I'm very sleepy and having a hard time reviewing what I wrote. :confused:

I especially understood this part :D

It's more just what happened than anything else. When images are resized/managed with GD, only the first frame is kept. ImageMagick can resize while keeping animation, though it can get bogged down if there are a lot of frames.

“I think it’s a new feature. Don’t tell anyone it was an accident.”
– Larry Wall

Some guys really like to repeat: "I hate animated avatars and blah-blah-blah..." But I always want to tell such people: "Hey, listen you are not yet the whole world!" In any case, this feature will give people freedom of choice. On many forums, people will want to be able to install an animated avatar, it will positively affect the attendance of resources such as gaming or entertainment. I really hope that after the first stable release, developers implement this useful feature. I want to buy xenForo after the first stable version of the engine. ^^

Top Bottom