As designed Long Usernames Cause Conflicts in the Latest Box on the Forum List

Amaury

This, I'm sure, is as designed, and I know that typically people don't sign up with or request changes to really long usernames, but there are some that do, and that causes problems.

You can see the issue here:

Long Username.webp

Notice how the time stamp is cut off.

A good resolution I can think of is to add overflow: hidden to the username, similar to what Brogan did for his Featured Threads resource (example).

This is also an issue only on the forum list. In other areas, like forums and threads, long usernames will wrap.

Edit: I noticed overflow: hidden is used on the account dropdown menu, where this could also be an issue, but can it be done on usernames on the forum list?

This is generally considered acceptable. At best, there'd be a "...", but that won't really be a significant difference (it does actually shorten the date more). Trying to shorten the username is possible with inline block, but it does create some really annoying alignment issues. As such, it's not really worth making significant changes for an edge case.

This is generally considered acceptable. At best, there'd be a "...", but that won't really be a significant difference (it does actually shorten the date more). Trying to shorten the username is possible with inline block, but it does create some really annoying alignment issues. As such, it's not really worth making significant changes for an edge case.

Fair enough, Mike. (y)

While long usernames do happen, they're not common. :)

Top Bottom