• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Long Tail Search Cloud - US$300 Donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone has any number showing this mod is actually working for their site? i.e it improves SEO enough to warrant adding more stuff to your site?
Yep... I went from 20k per month traffic, pretty standard for years, then used this and went to 70k in traffic... just with this one mod in 9 months. That's a massive increase, providing you keep it on point. You can obtain better results again if you never monitor it, but that has disadvantages, listed below.

You have to understand what it does, in that it records the one-off visits we all get to a page on usually relevant keyword phrases, but due to someone that has searched through pages of websites and clicked on the listing. The phrase is then recorded on the page in a specific area (cloud) and next time Google spiders the page, they find the exact keyword phrase that say was on page 5 of Google before, and suddenly it moves up the pages, usually landing on the first page of Google results.

The way it works is by usually increasing the priority and using heading tags even, to highlight phrases that are finding that page more than another, so it gives them priority by visit numbers...

Via the ACP, you can delete non-relevant terms that people find a page on... and this helps reduce your bounce rate, which can be counter productive to this mods purpose if not managed. Sure, you may capture more traffic, but you water down your overall pages purpose and worth by keeping non-relevant phrases around, so you delete / ban them from the ACP from ever showing again. Basically, an ignore feature for a word/phrase so it doesn't keep hindering the overall page purpose / site purpose.

If Google keep delivering traffic to your page from non-relevant terms, that is their issue, not yours... as long as you don't abuse it, I have found it extremely beneficial in picking up relevant members who may not otherwise of found your forum.

The way I'm currently planning on implementing it would allow it to work on absolutely any page/mod in XF :)
I have to say how much I like this ability... now I have just installed the media mod from Jaxel, being able to include it on video content that is being commented upon would be another stream to capture relevant traffic.

Yep... I went from 20k per month traffic, pretty standard for years, then used this and went to 70k in traffic... just with this one mod in 9 months. That's a massive increase, providing you keep it on point. You can obtain better results again if you never monitor it, but that has disadvantages, listed below.
Thanks for the detailed answers.
As much as I love the ability to get 3.x boost in traffic, I'd like to be sure that I'm not doing any black hat practice that may get penalized by Google in the long term.
Do I understand correctly that these "tag clouds" are only visible to admin via the back end and there are no huge tag clouds on the postbit bottom, forums?

No... the clouds are on the postbit... where you decide to put them. You can usually choose how many keyword terms to put within them.

I know what your thinking about the old technique of loading pages with keywords. Not quite the same, because these will change constantly, not be static. If you set it to only capture 10 terms per page, then only the top 10 terms for that page should show, being the heaviest viewed... which will change depending on visit phrases.

Writing the old static keywords into the footer is a big no-no... and whilst this is questionably close, a dynamic tag cloud is not viewed like that by Google... as tag clouds are now normal to be seen.

Would a term blocking function be better per-page or per-term?

While I can see that there may be situations where terms are wanted on some pages and not others, it makes the implementation and administration more awkward - much simpler to block terms globally (and MOGmartin's mod seems to do the same).

A quick sneak preview:

zv7b.png

y1qg.png

All I need to do is finish off the search term manager (for viewing/blacklisting terms), so it should be finished tomorrow :)

Awesome DI... looking forward to testing it. I agree with the global ban... not a per page instance... that would be nasty IMHO. You either get rid of the word that someone has been delivered to a page on completely and ban it, or you leave it alone.

I'm a paying customer with MOGmartin, and far from impressed. The product works fine enough, but support on it is just plain crap.

Threads asking questions on his forum are locked, or remain unanswered. No mail replies, and I have yet to figure out where I can find an updated version of his product for 4.0.8. Apparently I am not the only one either, judging by comments on his site.

I'll happily pay for an XF add-on that does the same, and I'd be more than willing to also pay for an add-on that offers the same thing for MediaWiki :)

He purchased my old forum. It's dead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom