Login two times for admin page?

steven s

I'm sure there is a good reason, I just don't know why though.
What is the purpose of having to log in twice to access your admin cp?

I mean, you log in once as a user with admin rights.
Then click on admin control panel link and enter your password again.

It's just extra security in case your login is cookied on a shared computer. If you go directly to the Admin CP then you only have to login once.
But with no Admin CP button to click on then someone would need to remember the url (yoursite.com/community/admin.php) or have it book marked...
wink.png

Public sessions and admin sessions are treated separately, so that you don't log in to the ACP unless you really want to do so.

Cuz sometimes when you are testing things that require you to logout of the forum 20 times in five minutes it would be nice if we could still stay logged into the ACP to make changes without having to re login 20 times in that same five minutes.. For example i sometimes have to log out of the forum as an admin and log into a test account with different permissions to test the changes ive made on a per usergroup basis.. It sucks that every time you go back to the acp to make another adjustment you have to re login.. Im a Joomla junkie and its just something i prefer and am used to on that system.. I know vB handled ACP logins the same way XF does.. Its not a show stopper but its just a preference. Especially right now when im having so many troubles with permissions.. Its driving me nuts to have to re login to the ACP every 30 seconds. Im sure there is some kind of security concerns i just dont know about.. (remember i dont code so understanding how security works in these sessions is foreign to me.) anyways the way the system works that would make a good 40 logins between accounts going back and forth in that 5 minutes from my example.

Cuz sometimes when you are testing things that require you to logout of the forum 20 times in five minutes it would be nice if we could still stay logged into the ACP to make changes without having to re login 20 times in that same five minutes.. For example i sometimes have to log out of the forum as an admin and log into a test account with different permissions to test the changes ive made on a per usergroup basis.. It sucks that every time you go back to the acp to make another adjustment you have to re login.. Im a Joomla junkie and its just something i prefer and am used to on that system.. I know vB handled ACP logins the same way XF does.. Its not a show stopper but its just a preference. Especially right now when im having so many troubles with permissions.. Its driving me nuts to have to re login to the ACP every 30 seconds. Im sure there is some kind of security concerns i just dont know about.. (remember i dont code so understanding how security works in these sessions is foreign to me.) anyways the way the system works that would make a good 40 logins between accounts going back and forth in that 5 minutes from my example.
Or you could use the "test permissions" function in the ACP (Users -> Test Permissions) to check them without having to log out at all... :)

Or you could use the "test permissions" function in the ACP (Users -> Test Permissions) to check them without having to log out at all... :)
Yeah that works to a degree, But until i figure out exactly what it changes and what it doesn't the old tried and true method is working out better for me at the moment.. This software being new and in beta is causing me alot of headaches when it comes to grasping some probably very basic stuff.. As i get more comfortable with it im sure that method will get used more and more but right now im just having issues with it, and dont trust it 100%

Top Bottom