Logging In Not Working

I'm having an odd login problem. At first I noticed that when I tried to log into the admin CP, the login page would simply refresh back to the login form. If I then refreshed the page through my browser, the admin CP would appear. But if I didn't, I'd just get a blank login form again.

Then, a user told me that she was having trouble logging in. She said the page refreshed but she still wasn't logged in.

Something is awry. Any ideas?

Last edited:
If you are on shared hosting... and it just started happening and you haven't done/made any changes then that's a pretty LARGE indicator that the first place you need to be talking to is the hosting provider to see what THEY have changed on their server. Usually with HG or GD the response you are going to get is "nothing" but amazingly the site will go back to working because somebody on the back end HAS changed/updated something that has caused problems and they finally figure it out.

And the only new add on (within the last week) added is CTA Featured Threads.

But it just started happening today.

I rebuilt the featured threads cache and some of the oddness in caching went away for that page at least.

Have you contact HostGator to see if they have "upgraded/changed" anything on the server.
These types of things don't just "mysteriously" start happening for no reason. They are typically related to
  1. An update/upgrade of the core forum software
  2. An upgrade/update of add-ons
  3. Installation of a new add-on
  4. Server update/move in which there have been changes made (PHP, Apache, etc) or certain functions not enabled (in the case of a move)
Doubt Featured Threads is causing it as I'm having no problems with it.

Have you contact HostGator to see if they have "upgraded/changed" anything on the server.
These types of things don't just "mysteriously" start happening for no reason. They are typically related to
  1. An update/upgrade of the core forum software
  2. An upgrade/update of add-ons
  3. Installation of a new add-on
  4. Server update/move in which there have been changes made (PHP, Apache, etc) or certain functions not enabled (in the case of a move)
Doubt Featured Threads is causing it as I'm having no problems with it.

I just created a ticket to see if they changed anything today.

Yes, this does problem does appear to be common to Hostgator customers this evening.

Several Hostgator customers are reporting similar problems this evening. Please contact Hostgator about this. These are the response headers that I have observed:

Code:
Cache-control:max-age=86400
Connection:keep-alive
Content-Encoding:gzip
Content-Length:3770
Content-Type:text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date:Thu, 13 Nov 2014 06:54:45 GMT
Expires:Fri, 14 Nov 2014 06:54:45 GMT
Last-Modified:Thu, 13 Nov 2014 06:54:45 GMT
Server:nginx/1.6.2
Vary:Accept-Encoding
X-Frame-Options:SAMEORIGIN

This is generated by a PHP resource which should not be cached.

for anyone else suffering from this hostgator change I fixed this by adding this to .htaccess

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Header set Expires 0
</IfModule>

I'm suffering from this as well (also a Hostgator customer), but I'd like to not have to edit or add anything if I can avoid it. With that in mind, what exactly am I supposed to be communicating to their support technicians?

I'm suffering from this as well (also a Hostgator customer), but I'd like to not have to edit or add anything if I can avoid it. With that in mind, what exactly am I supposed to be communicating to their support technicians?
just do what I did, you will never get anywhere with them.

they must have change their default settings for caching. I also notice cpanel is all new now too so it must have been when they upgraded it

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Header set Expires 0
</IfModule>

Yeah, that's not working for me. Is there a particular area of the document I need to paste that into?

And if anyone still has a clue as to what I need to get across to Hostgator, if that's the recommended option from a staff member here, then I'd appreciate some assistance with that.

Really this is not a XenForo issue.
It's something you need to take up with your host - they are fully aware of the problem, know what was changed to cause it and know how to resolve it.

This is not the first time we have had to do a host's job for them after them making a breaking change.

Hostgator have apparently rolled back the change so it should start working again.

Top Bottom