Log of Conversation Entries

Dan Allen

This of forum is entries is great. Is there anything setup for including conversation entries logged within profiles or some other place? It is a bummer to not be able to see all the stuff I've entered.

upload_2015-8-14_9-48-44.webp

It would require an add-on or custom development to specifically add support for indexing conversations in the Search system.

There may be add-ons that handle this already.

Thank you for the replies. The feature I am looking for does not appear available. If I make an addon that does this, what would I have to do to validate the addon and have it made available via Xen Foro?

Thank you for the replies. The feature I am looking for does not appear available.
My addon definitely supports that feature, but please note only people who are members of the conversation can see it:
conversation.webp

If I make an addon that does this, what would I have to do to validate the addon and have it made available via Xen Foro?
There is no requirement for add-ons to be published via XenForo.com

Xon, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I would love to give it a try.

The addons I have installed so far are installed by going into admin, finding the addon installer, sometimes uploading files with ftp somewhere first then running the installer built into xf. Is that a good way for your addon, or is something different needed? Why is it necessary to use a an addon to install this addon and how is the addon installer added before there is an addon addon installer to install it?

In other words, if the addon installer can be installed without the addon installer, why does your addon need the addon installer?

Because with the installer you can install the zip file.
Without you have to manually upload the content of the zip file to your server than install with xml file.

This installer can be used for nearly every add on not particular for this one.
Save you some time and makes it easier.

Reactions: Xon
I installed he addon. I does not provide a list of all my conversation entries in chronological order.
All the addons which add conversations as searchable items will require the search index to be explicitly rebuilt. Any further support should go into the relevant addon thread.

The thing I really about conversation search is how it still lets you have the experience of searching page by page within a conversation for the match it has found. This is especially useful when there are many conversations returned by the search, each with a lot of pages. If the search feature took you straight to the match, or I know this fortunately is beyond current technology, but can you imagine if instead of giving the list of conversations, what if it listed the exact posts containing the match? Like if there were five matches in a conversation, all five would be listed, not just the conversation title but the post within the conversation? It would be way to much relevant information in such a small space, cause brain issues, If somebody did setup the search like that, it would be best not to highlight the matches, because again it would make finding the matches too easy, leading to further brain issues and lazy forum members. At least if the posts were listed, you would not want to make them links back into the pages within the conversations where they came from. I'd have to say that the current search is perfect, providing the greatest opportunity for reading entire threads to find the match. If it was setup any other way, people would not be supported in spending time looking for things.

Top Bottom