Lack of interest location verification / location comparison

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

I just had an idea, not sure whether this makes logical sense or is technically achievable.

Purpose:
give Forum-Admin a quick overview of "potential" spammers.

I recognized many spammers and most importantly scammers are entering their location as "New York" or any other famous place, but in fact those users are from Nigeria or any other place (considering their IP-address).

I would suggest something like a "location verification" or at least a simple list of "location comparison" of users, in order to limit spam (list of location comparison visible by Admin only). So literally a list where the Admin can see the "user-location" as entered by the user versus the user-location based on their IP-address.

- having the "user location" field as a required field during registration. Not having it as required field is also fine.
- having a list (comparison) of user-location entered (e.g. during registration or otherwise) versus user-location from IP-address.

- location verification (not sure if this suggestion makes any sense):
automatic check of user-loction (the location which the user entered during registration into the required field) versus IP-address of user-location.
This may not make sense if user is entering his "home location" but is travelling abroad when signing up., so there would need to be a notification to the user to enter his "current" location which is verified via an IP-check in order to avoid fake registrations.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I doubt this'll be approved. I sometimes visit websites via a VPS/VPN where it'll say my location is from Germany, but I'm in UK.

I doubt this'll be approved. I sometimes visit websites via a VPS/VPN where it'll say my location is from Germany, but I'm in UK.

I have checked the IP-addresses of my users a bit and am confused. Some are from Asia but their IP says Iceland.
So I am not sure whether those are spammers and scammers or whether the IP's are switching from country to country as you say ?
How to figure out if someone is a spammer based on the IP? Seems impossible ?

A spammer is considered as such based on their behaviour.

Not their IP address, location, age or any other account related data.

Simple answer is that you can't

Some people may have an IP address that isn't in the same city as where they're living purely because their internet exchange point isn't in the same city.

I found spammers entering '1' in my their profile field on my Vb forum.
I have a mod that whenever someone enters '1', they are banned immediately.
Maybe you can find something similar on xenforo?

Top Bottom