1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Local Image Storage Option

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by ErrorCode, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ErrorCode

ErrorCode Member

I think we should be able to have the option to store images locally. Say for instance someone tries to backlink a picture in their signature or post by storing it on their server and then posting it to your website (basically what I'm doing right now, for example; right-click my signature and open it in another tab). You should have the option to take the remote URLs/data and store it on your website's local server, cutting out unwanted backlinking and whatnot; that way links and content would show as if they're coming from your website, not from an external source. I think a lot of forum owners would find this option very useful.
  2. ErrorCode

ErrorCode Member

I know us three aren't the only people who want this feature implemented.
  3. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

This would be good.
  4. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

I love this idea as it could also help save old threads from displaying broken images which over time can ruin a thread, The only problem I can see is such a feature may be looked at as a type of scraper and allow copyright infringements.

It has my support, though it might be a good idea to propose this as an unofficial add on.
  5. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

I thought all links posted by anyone that's not a moderator or admin were Nofollow attributed... which makes me think that backlinks should not be an issue as it won't help them spam their way to success.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's correct.