Local backup solutions?

Andy.N

I'm looking for ways to backup my important local files automatically to a either or both local and cloud locations.

I'm looking at hardware like Apple Timecapsule, Seagate 3TB backup drive, etc.

Anyone has any hardware or software solution that they use?

I back all my important stuff on my laptop to my NAS.

I also use the built in Windows backup tool to do a weekly backup to a USB hard drive

I... important stuff on my laptop to my NAS.

... while NSA takes a copy for itself. I wonder if we could ask NSA to retrieve backups? :D

More seriously, zip & upload.

If you have command-line access, you can also use WGET to move those zip files from server to server very quickly.

If you have a Mac, and NAS will do - you can set timemachine to back up to it. I use a (very old) Netgear Stora with 2x 2TB drives in RAID 1. It's one of the cheapest options around and can be rooted to enable a bunch of additional features. I've then got a second local drive (an old Seagate 2TB USB 2.0 drive) as an extra layer. It works pretty well as I'm in an office at the bottom of the garden, so the Stora backup runs up my gigabit ethernet back to the house, and then I have the USB backup drive sitting under the desk.

Another option is simply a basic NAS - theres really no need to go overboard and spend £150+ as you likely only need 2x drives in software RAID 1 for a backup solution.

Whatever you get, make sure its either USB 3 or Gigabit ethernet - you'll be replacing it in 24 months if it isn't.

Top Bottom