Add-on Live Feed for xenForo 2

It's very similar to that, except that the feed updates in real time. You don't have to refresh the page to see the latest activity.

I wonder if the folks at @DragonByte Tech would be interested in pursuing this? They created something similar for vBulletin 4.
It's definitely an interesting idea :)

Custom work keeps me pretty busy these days and I have another vB4-era mod in development (InfoPanels) waiting for the time to finish it, but after that's done I could definitely look into porting Live Feed.

It's very similar to that, except that the feed updates in real time. You don't have to refresh the page to see the latest activity.

I wonder if the folks at @DragonByte Tech would be interested in pursuing this? They created something similar for vBulletin 4.

vB4 Activity Stream do refresh in real time, so maybe no difference.

I found an add-on that turns the "What's New" page into a live (auto-refreshing) feed. Is this what you are looking for @Alfa1?

Correct :). It only refreshes the What's new page and does some other stuff.
Although it would be possible to add this refresh functionality to all new content, I don't think this is what you are looking for because it will refresh the complete page. You probably want something that updates the content without a page refresh.

Correct. I want an auto-updating activity feed. One page without tabs that offers all new content and updates every few seconds.

I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve this by using @AndyB's "What's new live" add-on, which is available here:

On XenForo 1 the "Recent Activity" page - coupled with Milano's Live Feed add-on - is what constituted a live news feed. On XenForo 2 the "Latest Activity" page, which is part of the "What's new" section, replaces "Recent Activity" as the news feed.

I'm curious if AndyB's "What's new live" add-on makes the "Latest Activity" page live? I'm thinking that it might, since "Latest Activity" is part of the "What's new" section. If that's the case, it should be possible to link directly to Latest Activity, which would serve as a live news feed for the site.

I may try this on my test site and see it works.

You are correct that XF2 Latest Activity is the same as XF1 recent activity. Making this live and cutting the clutter out of it, would be what I need.
But I'm not using Andy's addons and do not plan to.

You are correct that XF2 Latest Activity is the same as XF1 recent activity. Making this live and cutting the clutter out of it, would be what I need.
But I'm not using Andy's addons and do not plan to.

The ideal solution would be if @Xon could incorporate a live Latest Activity feed into his Live Content add-on. I made this suggestion on his forum yesterday:

The ideal solution would be if @Xon could incorporate a live Latest Activity feed into his Live Content add-on. I made this suggestion on his forum yesterday:

I definitely want to look into this; I've just been significantly slowed down with migrating all the add-ons to XF2 & related prep-work for the two sites I help run (https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/ and https://forums.spacebattles.com/).

I'll be moving both sites in the next few weeks (and then last minute bugfixes over the next month), and will then start looking at my feature request backlog and custom work requests.

Hopefully your coding speed will soon reach terminal velocity and you can battle your way through that backlog to get these new requests fulfilled :D

The problem with Latest Activity in XF is there are no read/unread markers. So even if you took the LA widget, made it full page in What's New, and it auto-updated, you'd still (for me) want markers. Plus it's full of stuff we don't need like reactions etc. Just the content titles from all official apps, in a stream, with markers. Heck I wouldn't even need that to auto-update would just like it all in one!

Correct. I want an auto-updating activity feed. One page without tabs that offers all new content and updates every few seconds.
This is perfect, and actually kinda strange it's not implemented already somehow. Either as a part of the base functions in XenForo, or as an add-on. Either way it is highly wanted.

Top Bottom