1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteSpeed vs. Apache

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Bob_R, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Bob_R

Bob_R Active Member

Can someone explain the differences to me and which they prefer over the other?

Is there an advantage to either?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Bob_R, lsmichael and KeVo like this.
  3. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Even idle website with 1 visitor shows huge speed increase with LSW
    The Forum Heroes likes this.
  4. Tracy Perry

Few things I've found with OLS... you can't use the context like the show for LSW for your SSL Strict Transport Security. If you enable it as they show for LSW then your OLS site starts kicking you a 404 error.
  5. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

I used only Enterprise edition, and I use SSL - but never experienced any problems.
  6. Tracy Perry

And it probably works fine with LSW.. but I have an 8GB VPS and I'm not going to pay $20 a month for something that doesn't get me THAT much of a gain for my current traffic.
    OLS works fine generally and I don't have to have the Apache .htaccess compatibility since I'm already used to working with nginx and the "arcane" process it has.

With OLS if you define a context containing / for the URL and / for the location (as they demonstrate on their support site) and then make it active but no REALM info - your site then begins giving 404 errors.
    I think it's just a bug in OLS, but I'm waiting on @lsmichael over on OpenLiteSpeed.com to respond to a post there.
  7. Tracy Perry

Got my issue resolved after a few hours of head scratching on Strict Transport Security and using a context to get it to work. Still thinking it was a bug in the software (OLS). "Upgraded" to 1.4.3 BETA and the same thing was going on.
  8. D.O.A.

D.O.A. Well-Known Member

Nginx does the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs.
  9. semprot

semprot Active Member

Litespeed is generally faster than apache :)
  10. Dinh Thanh

Dinh Thanh Well-Known Member

Much faster than :)
    semprot and Alfa1 like this.