Style List of Styles with no Template edits

Brent W

I like to keep the majority of my sites as simple as possible and part of the process is making upgrades painless. I recently had a style that was not updated for months on one of my most popular sites which put me in a bind.

I want to make a thread listing all the current styles that do not have any template edits so that we can easily find styles that will be more future proof for upgrades.

So post away if you have a theme that doesn't require any template edits or if you know of one.

Or purchase the branding removal and you could simply revert the template which would be no template edits :D
... and for just $15 USD, that is exactly what I did. (y) With a little creativity I am so far avoiding touching the core templates even with add-ons except for a few 'ad' templates (which I'd rather gladly touch instead of, say, page_container or form_list).

I like to keep the majority of my sites as simple as possible and part of the process is making upgrades painless. I recently had a style that was not updated for months on one of my most popular sites which put me in a bind.

I want to make a thread listing all the current styles that do not have any template edits so that we can easily find styles that will be more future proof for upgrades.

So post away if you have a theme that doesn't require any template edits or if you know of one.

A bit off topic, but going with any of the main premium designers I think we all supply updates within ~1 week of an upgrade.

All of Kims free themes (DFX, DFX Red, Blush, Be Mine) only have a footer edit, and I think her CoolFront and Cool Yule only have a few edits that are in templates not updated that often.

Any of our other styles are full of edits due to the framework, but I update all of our styles within 3 days if I have nothing me keeping me from them.

I just don't want to have to rely on premium skins unless I get one that is light on edits. Frameworks don't interest me that much.

BSG, from PixelExit they also have XenFoogle which has modifications to several of the .css files but not to the content templates.

I just don't want to have to rely on premium skins unless I get one that is light on edits. Frameworks don't interest me that much.

Pretty sure most of the big designers are moving to using a framework to cut down on design time, support and maintenance.

On average there are only a few out of date edits per update though. I think the average is 3-4 templates except for major releases or 1.1.4 or 1.1.3 which had ~10 out of date templates, but that was also a very large updated.

It's hard to make a good style without edits, so you're going to have a tough time finding a good style whether it is free or premium.

Pretty sure most of the big designers are moving to using a framework to cut down on design time, support and maintenance.

On average there are only a few out of date edits per update though. I think the average is 3-4 templates except for major releases or 1.1.4 or 1.1.3 which had ~10 out of date templates, but that was also a very large updated.

It's hard to make a good style without edits, so you're going to have a tough time finding a good style whether it is free or premium.

We just found the options we wanted to offer we kept adding in our styles so... was born a framework.

It is hard right now. Hopefully as xenForo progresses they can make the designers life easier. Right now though, I'd just really have some nice CSS changes and a good color scheme. Most of my sites have audience members that don't require fancy graphics or gimmicks, which is why I am looking for something a bit more simple. 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 was harsh for one of my forums.

I think as we progress we'll start to see less and less template edits, heck I was modifying a ton of files on the Casual style when xenforo first came out, spent about 20 minutes redoing it and got rid of all the template edits, just a learning process for the style makers :D

I think as we progress we'll start to see less and less template edits, heck I was modifying a ton of files on the Casual style when xenforo first came out, spent about 20 minutes redoing it and got rid of all the template edits, just a learning process for the style makers :D

Definitely. It's all a learning curve. I plan on going back to my dark style where I've made around 21 edits (templates) because of the silly mistake i made in designing the sideblocks and nodes. I'm quite confident i can eliminate all template edits which I'll do when 1.2 comes. But same here I went back to an old style and eliminated all edits and !importants in EXTRA :P

The one I'm currently working on has no template edits.. all done via CSS.

Is that the green and yellow one Az? I almost choked at the title "W.I.P" I think with both of us it isn't a style if it doesn't include w.i.p in it. :D *runs to bbsmiley and removes both w.i.p from title* :LOL:

Is that the green and yellow one Az? I almost choked at the title "W.I.P" I think with both of us it isn't a style if it doesn't include w.i.p in it. :D *runs to bbsmiley and removes both w.i.p from title* :LOL:
LOL This one - which is more green than yellow these days :D And I think it should be a law that all styles have WIP in it :D

oh right I was looking at the one on xenadmins. Yeah, that one on banshee is look really good. *steals nodeicons* those really turned out fantastic.
I thought you were.. no the WIP on xenadmins is my "go with outrageous colours to see whether the thing I'm changing worked :D" style... you know how that goes!

I need to get that Banshee style finished.. if family would stop bloody visiting me for days on end, I'd have had it done by now.. but noooo another one is coming tomorrow and staying until Sunday *sighs* And get off my node icons :D

I thought you were.. no the WIP on xenadmins is my "go with outrageous colours to see whether the thing I'm changing worked :D" style... you know how that goes!

I need to get that Banshee style finished.. if family would stop bloody visiting me for days on end, I'd have had it done by now.. but noooo another one is coming tomorrow and staying until Sunday *sighs* And get off my node icons :D

Don't make me lens flare and/or Tube those node icons into 1999. :D Banshee style is coming along nicely though Az. *hugs node icons* *swipes* :p

Top Bottom