List attachments on member profiles

Member-uploaded attachments should be listed on member profiles similar to how the Media Gallery does it for media:

attachments list.webp

And clicking on an attachment thumbnail will load the full attachment image for members to browse through.

Upvote 6
Not so much this... but allowing the user to see/re-use already uploaded attachments in other posts would be a big help. Yes, storage is not that expensive.... but why waste space if you don't have to.

Why do you want to use more memory. The attachments should be visible in the profile. Since the attachments are already on the server anyway, it's just a matter of displaying them.
We get such requests from our users almost monthly. But we are also very image-heavy.

Why do you want to use more memory. The attachments should be visible in the profile. Since the attachments are already on the server anyway, it's just a matter of displaying them.
We get such requests from our users almost monthly. But we are also very image-heavy.
It's not about using more memory, it's about providing more ways for our members to enjoy the content they provide.

If your server cannot handle it, then upgrade.

Just like browsing through a member's gallery, we should also be able to browse through their attachments.

Most people these days don't want the extra cumbersome steps the gallery makes you take, so they take the shortcut using attachments.

Then we have no way to enjoy all of the thousands of photos they attach to threads, unless we are viewing the hundred page thread, one page at a time.

Perhaps the mirroring functionally could be extended. A user album in the gallery could be setup specifically to mirror a user's attachments. A default album called My Attachments. You get the idea.

Perhaps the mirroring functionally could be extended. A user album in the gallery could be setup specifically to mirror a user's attachments. A default album called My Attachments. You get the idea.
I was advised that takes twice the hard drive space.

When you have 5 million images, this can become an issue.

Then we have no way to enjoy all of the thousands of photos they attach to threads, unless we are viewing the hundred page thread, one page at a time.
Actually you do. You can mirror a forum node to the gallery. It's what I do with my astrophotography nodes. They get mirrored and those mirrored images re-use the attachment for the gallery and not create a new image for it (confirmed via ticket by @Jeremy P). The one thing I wished it did was also bring across the custom fields I have set for users to add to their posts for the images they attach.. but that's a suggestion that is sitting out in the queue here.

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 2.39.11 PM.webp

It's not about using more memory, it's about providing more ways for our members to enjoy the content they provide.

If your server cannot handle it, then upgrade.

The answer was to @Tracy Perry and his comment about space. (but why waste space if you don't have to.)
I think your suggestion makes a lot of sense and I and my members would also like to see it.

The answer was to @Tracy Perry and his comment about space. (but why waste space if you don't have to.)
I think your suggestion makes a lot of sense and I and my members would also like to see it.
So, you are all in for multiple uploads in various areas of the same image, with each taking up additional storage space (not memory) being different uploaded file attachments?
Or are you all in on the ability to be able to re-use attachments that are already there, saving space on the server?
Not really sure which position you are taking.
My point was, an attachment browser that allows re-use of already uploaded attachments by the user saves storage, even though it is cheap enough to get additional.
The "problem" of others being able to see uploaded attachments in a central area is already solved with use of XFMG and the mirroring capability. Those images use the same attachment as in the thread they mirror. Now, would it be nice if they could be configured to be added to actual user albums.. you bet. But with XF history of slow/no response to suggestions that don't "fit their paradigm" that probably would not happen.
And I doubt an astrophotography site would be considered "light" on images, seeing as that's pretty much what the whole site is about.

Last edited:
So, you are all in for multiple uploads in various areas of the same image, with each taking up additional storage space (not memory) being different uploaded file attachments?
No, but I can't prevent it unless I notice it, but with about 200 pictures a day it's almost impossible.

Or are you all in on the ability to be able to re-use attachments that are already there, saving space on the server?
Not really sure which position you are taking.
My point was, an attachment browser that allows re-use of already uploaded attachments by the user saves storage, even though it is cheap enough to get additional.
Ok then I have completely misunderstood.
But just then it would be an advantage if the user could see for himself which pictures he has already uploaded.
Although in my experience most users are too lazy to do this.

The "problem" of others being able to see uploaded attachments in a central area is already solved with use of XFMG and the mirroring capability. Those images use the same attachment as in the thread they mirror.
Yes, I know that. But it is the year 2023, and you don't really need the gallery any more. You can simply upload them all in the post. And 95 % of our users do the same. The users who have been here since 2006 only know the gallery.
And then we have a few very clever people who use the gallery a bit as a free cloud.

In forums where it's primarily about photography, I still understand the gallery. But I personally would rather delete it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer the pictures from the gallery directly into the posts. And unfortunately there is also no way to see which images from the gallery are used in posts and which are not.

That's why I find the suggestion from @420 super and, as I said, our users keep asking for it.

Top Bottom