LiquidWeb StormOnDemand and Smart Servers

Coby

Hello learned friends. ;)

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these types of servers (either with LiquidWeb or otherwise), and can share their experience, any pros and cons, and how suitable they would be for a very large forum.

I need to migrate my server because i'm reaching resource limitations, and I'm just covering all bases re. researching alternatives.

http://www.liquidweb.com/SmartServers/
https://www.stormondemand.com/cloud-server/

Thanks.

Servint is very good, we were hosted with them for several years. My only real problem with them was that I found the backups to be somewhat unreliable. The two times I needed to restore from a backup, they had to go back several days/weeks to find a stable copy of the files I needed. It wasn't a major problem given the specifics of the case, but it did make me uneasy.

We've been on a StormOnDemand cloud server for about a year now, and once we got through the teething problems (mostly issues of mod_security blocking essential WordPress, vBulletin etc functionality) it's been quite stable. The MAIN reason we went to StormOnDemand was the incredible ease with which we can create and destroy testbed servers that are a *perfect* mirror of our live system. That has worked out exceedingly well. I setup a hosts file on my local workstation to bypass the DNS and send me to the testbed's IP instead of the live site, the only thing I need to do on the newly spawned server is go in via WHM and update the IP of the account we're working with to reflect the IP of the testbed instance vs the live server IP. Once that's done (30 sec fix) the new testbed is a perfect replica of the live site, so we can test EXACTLY what will happen for a given upgrade, migration etc.

Take about 1 1/2 hours to create a new image of the live server, then about an hour to spawn a new instance based on that image. The whole process is completely automated, so I just click the buttons on the StormOnDemand web management tool and go do something else while it works. Never even have to take the live site down. :)

I spent a lot of time looking at/talking with Rackspace. They have a good rep, but their cloud products are quite a bit more expensive. Cloud sites isn't an option (no ability to load addons/mods etc.) And Cloud Servers were nearly twice the price (once you add in all the things needed) of StormOnDemand.

Rackspace certainly has the experience though, :) and they've got a very mature system.

I spent a lot of time looking at/talking with Rackspace. They have a good rep, but their cloud products are quite a bit more expensive. Cloud sites isn't an option (no ability to load addons/mods etc.) And Cloud Servers were nearly twice the price (once you add in all the things needed) of StormOnDemand.

Rackspace certainly has the experience though, :) and they've got a very mature system.
I hosted with Liquidweb VPS for 2 years until moving to Rackspace Cloudserver 2 weeks ago. Blandt knows about it ;)

When we ran out of their max VPS there, the option was to upgrade to dedicated which we do not need yet or try for their new Storm service.
I spent quite a bit looking for info on them, and eventually tried vps.net for a few months before cancelling them.
While agree it's cheaper compared to Rackspace, it's true you get what you pay so i would rather pay more now than having to move again in a few months, years.

With linode.com you have an almost unlimited upgrade path that is seamless and easy. They can configure a vps beyond a typical dedicated server. They are worth consideration.

Jeff

Top Bottom