XF 2.2 Linking to first unread post problem

Salamanca

Hi there,

As far as I understand Xenforo takes you to the first unread post when you open to read a thread.
If that is correct, we're having an issue with this. It seems that sometimes it never happens at all. Or it's erratic. You have to reopen and re-read the thread 2 or 3 times to take you to the last post for example.

Or another example, when opening to read a thread with 14.000 pages, for one user it will always take him to the very first post of the thread, but for another user, it always opens the very last reply.

Or I leave a thread on page 550, but when I get back to it it takes me to page 552?

I don't know if this is a bug or not. I'm baffled.

Can someone explain how this function works exactly?

Thanks
Alex

Last edited:
Hi there,

As far as I understand Xenforo takes you to the first unread post when you open to read a thread.
If that is correct, we're having an issue with this. It seems that sometimes it never happens at all. Or it's erratic. You have to reopen and re-read the thread 2 or 3 times to take you to the last post for example.

Or another example, when opening to read a thread with 14.000 pages, for one user it will always take him to the very first post of the thread, but for another user, it always opens the very last reply.

Or I leave a thread on page 550, but when I get back to it it takes me to page 552?

I don't know if this is a bug or not. I'm baffled.

Can someone explain how this function works exactly?

Thanks
Alex
I'm having a few of my users report to me that they are also having some issues with a title click going to the first post instead of the first unread.

Probably does not answer the issue here. But here are a few things you can just play with to see if this is replicable.

XenForo has a few keyword based links that points to different parts of the thread.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/linking-to-first-unread-post-problem.191491/unread would take the logged in member fo the the first unread post.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/linking-to-first-unread-post-problem.191491/latest would take the user to the latest post in the thread.

Plus there is a setting in backend. If user has not visited the thread in that time period, he is sent to the first post in thread but there is a button to visit the new posts in threads.

1622878378527.webp

I think the setting is named Read marking data lifetime though i would have to verify.

Top Bottom