Link Removal Requests

dvsDave

So, I got this email today, this is the third email I've gotten from three different URL's, all worded exactly the same way.

Dear Webmaster,

You may be aware that there have been some recent Google updates which has prompted us to actively review links to our website.

Our research has identified that someone who wasn't authorized has built links to www.mysafetysign.com. We would like to

request that you remove the links that exist on all of the pages. The links that we have located are:

Backlink Url's - http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/why-do-we-need-to-have-the-gains-bottomed-out.17442/page-3

Anchor Text - Electrical Panel Signs ? Keep Operating Environment Safe with Danger Signs , SKU: S-0645

Our Website - http://www.mysafetysign.com/Safety-Signs/Clearance-Do-Not-Block-Panel.aspx

We would greatly appreciate if you could please advise once the request has been actioned. If you have any further questions,

please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Webmaster
MySafetySign.com
32 Court Street, Suite 2200,
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Telephone - 7188893700 x 619

This just blows my mind, what bleeping idiot would want an organic link (not auto-linked, but actually referenced and linked by a real person without any goal of financial gain) removed from the internet? The wording makes me think they are using an automated tool, which is absolutely stupid in my opinion.

Anybody else get these crazy emails?

It does look automated to me. I've received a few emails asking me to remove some links from registration bots that we've missed over the years, with the emailer saying that they hired a bad SEO company that used bots etc etc. now that Google isn't looking favorably on that, I imagine a lot of companies are trying to remove some of their harmful links. The lazy (or those with a lot of links) will just set up some kind of automation for it that will pick up genuine links by accident.

That's just my take on what's going on of course.

So, I got this email today, this is the third email I've gotten from three different URL's, all worded exactly the same way.

This just blows my mind, what bleeping idiot would want an organic link (not auto-linked, but actually referenced and linked by a real person without any goal of financial gain) removed from the internet? The wording makes me think they are using an automated tool, which is absolutely stupid in my opinion.

Anybody else get these crazy emails?

I haven't gotten any... but since bot's have a hard time registering on my site my typical response would be along the lines of

Dear Sir/Madam

I have recently received your mail requesting removal of a link (or links) that has been placed on my site. I will be more than happy to remove said link(s) that you requested. Per our site Link Removal Policy, please submit to (an address here) $50 USD per link to the provided address. Upon receipt of funds the requested links will be removed.

Sincerely,
Your Name
Your site name

If they were stupid enough to hire spammers to get their links out - then they should be willing to pay the price of their stupidity. Of course, I am a tad bit of a horses ass. Just ask my wife. :D

Similar thread here: Link Removal Services & Notices -- The Newest Internet Scam?

It does look automated to me. I've received a few emails asking me to remove some links from registration bots that we've missed over the years, with the emailer saying that they hired a bad SEO company that used bots etc etc. now that Google isn't looking favorably on that, I imagine a lot of companies are trying to remove some of their harmful links. The lazy (or those with a lot of links) will just set up some kind of automation for it that will pick up genuine links by accident.

That's just my take on what's going on of course.

They're only "bad" now that they are finally being penalized for it. If they were not being penalized, they'd be quite happy to continue littering our web sites with their detritus.

Top Bottom