1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Link Directory

Discussion in 'Add-on Requests [Archive]' started by CyclingTribe, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

If there's no one already working on one - could I suggest a link directory plugin for xF?

It could use the styling of your xF forum, as well as your userbase and group settings, and would - ideally - have custom fields so you could add things like address / tel / map link etc. as well as the link info.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

Rich, ShadyX, Brett Peters and 6 others like this.
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

It's on my todo list, but my todo list is really big, because i have 100 vBulletin add-ons which i need to port, before i can switch:D
    My vB Linklist: http://fatak.net/forum/linklist.php

3. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Why would you want to add custom fields to a linklist?
    With custom fields it would be a "great directory"(which is also on my todolist) but not a linklist^^

I just want to know this, because my developer started planing this....
    See more details of the 1. version here^^

4. CyclingTribe

For me, in particular, I wanted custom fields because my directory was for Bicycle Shops (many of which are small independents that don't have web sites), and I wanted to list their address, telephone number, brands of bike they stock, etc.

I've created one in MyPHPDirectory but it doesn't link-in to the user/permissions system, so an integrated one would be ideal - allowing settings such as the ability to add/edit listings, have listing "owners" who submit them, grant privs based on usergroup membership, etc.

More complex than a simple link list, but comprehensive enough to offer greater depth and usefulness for non-web-based listings too.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

Brett Peters and erich37 like this.
  5. Craigr

Craigr Active Member

6. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

a Directory with custom Profile fields would be great!

7. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

The one thing missing form many a link list is the ability to track reciprocal links, you know the guys who email you for a link exchange, you place a link on your site, they place a reciprocal link on their site and a couple of weeks later they remove your link. :mad:

onthefly likes this.
  8. onthefly

onthefly Active Member

Ye, I would also be interested in have such a product. :)

9. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

I would like to submit a request for a directory listing mod for XenForo, I am sure that a few forums could benefit from such a mod.

Because a directory is rather simular to a Recipe Directory I would love to see a directory built for XF but also modified to a recipe directory which I also feel could also be popular.

Here are a few things that I think that a XenForo directory should have, Feel free to post your own thoughts and suggestions.

• Permission based Directory Listings
    • Map integration
    • Admin option to show the most viewed listings first
    • Rating system that takes advantage of Rich Snippets
    • Reviews (basically comments but renamed)
    • Ability to edit ratings given
    • XenForo look and feel

GeeksChat and Awesome-o like this.
  10. Awesome-o

Awesome-o Active Member

something like this?

11. CyclingTribe

12. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

I did not know that existed so thanks for letting me know, Seems a bit buzy for some reason and I would much prefer not having to install Joomla.

Snap would be correct, When Brogan is around he can merge the two threads if that is alright with you :)

GeeksChat likes this.
  13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

14. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I'd suggest trying to port xf with phpld TBH
    Why rebuild the whole wheel when phpld is a well known directory script with TONS of mods already.

Just the login would need shared. :)

15. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

I tried to make phpLD match my forum theme but failed horribly (here :oops:) I'm going to scrap that soon and wait for an xF addon, I would be willing to pay for this.

16. onthefly

onthefly Active Member

HAs anyone started on the project?

17. CyclingTribe

I've not heard of anyone starting one.

I'll up the ante - I'll offer $100 towards the coding of one. (y)

18. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

GeeksChat likes this.
  19. CyclingTribe