1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Link behind protected Forum is still working

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Core Freedom, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Well-Known Member

2. Floris

Floris Guest

That is not a xenforo page.

Core Freedom likes this.
  3. Core Freedom

But I put the files in the public_html folder... That doesn't make it a Xenforo page?

So even if I create a XF page and then place the link in that page, the link itself will never be a XF page, correct? Is it even possible to make the flip book then a XF page?

4. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

public_html is just the root folder of your site

Anything put in public_html will show up at www.yoursite.co.uk
    Anything in public_html/folder1 will show up at www.yoursite.co.uk/folder1
    etc

It's noting to do with xenforo per se, it's just where it's installed.

What I think you're asking is that you'd like your content to be embedded within a Xenforo Page (and hence respect it's permissions, etc).

Core Freedom likes this.
  5. Core Freedom

That makes a lot of sense, Rob, didn't follow that thread of thought. So these flip books are .html files. How can I embed them into a XF page and so protect them? If I just create a regular page and then place the same link above within that page, then the link is still unprotected.

I'm still unsure of how to make the flip book available but as protected content.

6. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

Can you copy/paste the contents into a xenforo page node type? (or whatever they call it)

Core Freedom likes this.
  7. RobParker

Can you paste the contents (the HTML) into a Xenforo Page?

(Your flip book example won't lod on my iPad so I can't see exactly what it is. I assume it's not just HTML though so that might not work...)

Core Freedom likes this.
  8. Core Freedom

No, there is an entire folder of 'things' in it that I had to upload. It's one of those flip books that makes a sound when you flip the page, you can zoom in and out, etc. Definitely not something I can just drag into a page.

Is there a way to create a protected folder and place all the ebooks in that folder? I don't really know my way our the public_html folder too well.

Thank you. :)

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can protect a directory using PHP, which is how the attachments directory is protected in XenForo.

Core Freedom likes this.
  10. Core Freedom

No, sadly, the contents are where they are. It's like when you create a Camtasia video, you have all these extra files that go with the folder. This is the same. The alternative is to create exe files, but that I definitely don't want because then I have issues with people needing help with download, yadda yadda.

There has to be a way...:)

11. Core Freedom

That's great! How do I do that?o_O

12. Core Freedom

Is there anyone who knows how to create a directory and protect it with PHP? Is it difficult to do or do I need to get someone to do it?

13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To tie it in with the forum permissions will require an add-on.

Core Freedom likes this.
  14. Core Freedom

Thank you, Brogan. Does it have a name or is it a custom add-on? If so, do you know anyone who builds them?

15. James

James Well-Known Member

It'll have to be a custom add-on, and off the top of my head I know that xfrocks does custom work, maybe ragtek too.

Core Freedom likes this.
  16. Core Freedom

thank you!

17. Core Freedom

Ok, I tried getting a hold of xfrocks but no answer.

I'm still not clear how a protected folder is going to protect a flip book with an html extension. As far as my very limited knowledge goes, an html file is not an attachment, correct? So if it's not part of a forum or a folder, how can a php code protect it like we can protect attachments (since it's not an attachment)?

Is there another solution?

18. RobParker

I think the suggestion was that the flipbook HTML be uploaded into a folder that was protected so that the contents of the folder (the flipbook) couldn't be accessed.

To tie this in to XF's permission system would require an addon.

Core Freedom likes this.