Limit number of emails sent per hour / email throttling

In vbulletin this was a modification, so perhaps someone is capable of writing such mod for XenForo?
It was called: Cron Based Mail Queue

This is very important for smaller forums that run on shared hosting accounts.

Email throttling should be considered for sending emails and also domain throttling would also be good.

I dont think that their is a need for me to further explain, if their is please let me know.

___EDIT___

Email throttling

Email throttling is a must if you have limits set by your host or email provider
Email throttling is also a must to comply with email providers receiving limits such as hotmail, google etc, You can get a better understanding from email providers and their best practices from their postmaster pages. That being said don't expect to get a quick answer to the maximum number of emails you can send without being considered spam.

Domain throttling
This ensures that you do not send more emails than the set amount to a single domain such as hotmail, Gmail etc (*no spam folder for you)
*other condition apply, i suggest signing up to feedback loops

Email separation
Email functions like mailings, registration and alerts should have the option for separate email addresses, Separating email addresses by their function is a best practice and over all ensures better inbox placement. The basic thought behind separating email addresses by their functions is a simple one that I can only explain by saying "don't place all your eggs in one basket"

I'm on shared hosting with a 400 per hour limit so I would like this as well.

Not only should this be included for peoples email sending limits I would like to ad that it is greatly needed for receiving limits, Basically every email provider such as hotmail etc has a limit of emails that you can sent to their domain based on their best practices and to respect their server resources, If a sender sends more than the considered safe amount per time frame you are considered a spammer and your inbox placement suffers.

Is that a Suggestion or a Support issue ?

I placed it as a suggestion although i feel that it is a bug (I felt it would come across as arrogance on my part if I posted it as a bug)

The other suggestion I have made recently was for XF to include an email "receive newsletter checkbox" so that I can collect email addresses and comply with spam policys.

Another thing that I would like to put as a suggestion is for the ability to have a separate email address for mailings, registration and general notifications, Once again this falls under email best practices and gives over all better inbox placement.

Another thing that I would like to put as a suggestion is for the ability to have a separate email address for mailings, registration and general notifications, Once again this falls under email best practices and gives over all better inbox placement.
Seems logical.
Might help with the throttling issue as well.
You wouldn't want registrations throttled. But Mailing should for sure be throttled.
Notifications, depending on how they are used, probably don't need throttling, unless you have a super popular thread, where everyone is watching ... and has email notifications selected.

Seems logical.
Might help with the throttling issue as well.
You wouldn't want registrations throttled. But Mailing should for sure be throttled.
Notifications, depending on how they are used, probably don't need throttling, unless you have a super popular thread, where everyone is watching ... and has email notifications selected.

I do like your train of thought, the only issue's that I can see with not throttling either a single or multiple functions would be the ability to go over a set quota, Lets say for an example that a user has a quota of 100 emails per hour and sets a throttling limit of 90 emails per hour. that users can then keep track of how many non XF emails they send, however if they have ten registrations then their quota is met. I personal thinking is that their would be to many unpredictable variables to ensure that a set quota is met.

Also if a user is sending mailings and has set a quota for domain names such as hotmail, any un throttled functions could possibly exceed the desired quota and lead to making a spam trap such as hotmail angry.

You have my support for email throttling, If I may also suggest a few things that are related to email throttling.

Domain shuffling for outgoing emails (Better inbox placement/avoiding spam traps)
Domain per hour throttling (Better inbox placement/avoiding spam traps)
Newsletter Opt in process to comply to standards (include a check box)
Separating email addresses for different functions, Registration - Board Emails - Mailings... (Basically standard email practice)

I keep hitting this barrier and it seems like many others do too, please can we get a solution or an implementation.

Deebs showed a method for email throttling.

What I do is run a local copy of Exim which PHP sends the mail to directly (basically a fire and forget about it). Then Exim runs a queue runner every 5 mins and offloads the mail to my smarthost. This way PHP doesn't timeout as Exim is always running.
exim-blue-ld-87x65.png

http://www.exim.org/

Exim is a message transfer agent (MTA) developed at the University of Cambridge for use on Unix systems connected to the Internet.

http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/index.html (Revision 4.77 - 10 Oct 2011).

Deebs showed a method for email throttling.

exim-blue-ld-87x65.png

http://www.exim.org/

Exim is a message transfer agent (MTA) developed at the University of Cambridge for use on Unix systems connected to the Internet.

http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/index.html (Revision 4.77 - 10 Oct 2011).
I dont have exim on my server, since I switched to plesk based control panels. Using mailman at the moment. Would you be able to do a step by step?

Would be very interesting to be able to schedule emails to users, to send 100 emails/ hour. Some of us have problems by the limit have servers and this is a problem.

I suggest that for the next version this can be done, other systems already bring by default and do not have problems of limitations.

I have this error by not administrate emails/hour
Code:
An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away in /home/gameradi/public_html/gamer/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
    Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
    XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
    XenForo_Application::handleException()

Top Bottom