1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Limit length of Occupation field?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by TechGuy, May 23, 2016.

1. TechGuy

TechGuy Member

Is there a way to limit the length of the default user fields, like Occupation? I couldn't seem to find any options for them. Thanks!

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

The occupation field is already limited to 50 characters. That seems like a reasonable limit, to me, but it isn't configurable.

Theoretically you could limit it further by editing the template.

You would just change this:
    Code:
    <dd><input type="text" name="occupation" value="{$visitor.occupation}" id="ctrl_occupation" class="textCtrl OptOut" /></dd>
    To this:
    Code:
    <dd><input type="text" name="occupation" value="{$visitor.occupation}" id="ctrl_occupation" class="textCtrl OptOut" maxlength="25" /></dd>
    In the account_personal_details template.

Bear in mind, however, it wouldn't take much for those who are somewhat knowledgable to attempt to bypass that limit, so it certainly isn't infallible.

I should also point out that you will not be able to accept a length greater than 50. This limit is the maximum the database field is configured for and anything longer than 50 will be automatically truncated by our DataWriter.