Implemented Like System Extended on xenForo 2.0

Kintaro

xenForoers!! Like this post it if you want something like Post Rating in the core of xf 2.0!

Maybe... OMG I'm going to say this!! :censored:
"Just" buying, porting and "xenforing" Post Rating itself? /me running away screaming!

I don't know if this is, or will be, a KAM's practice. But IMHO have a system like that in the core can be a great improvement in user engagement aspect, and why not, a little KA against other forum scripts.

and maybe @Luke Foreman will create another great and brand new add-on!! ...and many little Like System Extended "extensions". :love:

What do you think of this? :oops:

Upvote 20
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
kier has repeatedly shot down any suggestion of including any rating mechanism which can be used to facilitate negative ratings.
we cant be trusted :rolleyes:
on the bright side, mike didnt seems as opposed to the idea.

As much as I like the concept of the Post Ratings add-on it has a huge flaw in it:

It only works with the "Post" content type. It does not work with add-ons. I once spoke with Luke about integrating it with other add-ons and unfortunately it wouldn't be possible without a big re-write of the existing Post Ratings code.

The negative ratings would be optional, I would expect.

They are in the current Post Ratings add-on.

On the forum where I use Post Ratings, only positive ratings exist.

It only works with the "Post" content type. It does not work with add-ons. I once spoke with Luke about integrating it with other add-ons and unfortunately it wouldn't be possible without a big re-write of the existing Post Ratings code.
The OP wants it to be in the core so there would be no need for a rewrite.

I am aware of that.

The OP also said:

"Just" buying, porting and "xenforing" Post Rating itself?
Suggesting that he'd like XenForo to use Luke's implementation of Post Ratings. I am saying that wouldn't work, and would need a rewrite.

And that is a good thing.
I can remember when I tried post ratings on vb and the negative ratings set the forum on flames for two months.
a good thing for you, perhaps. for me it was a glaring hole in the forum functionality that members commented on numerous times before lukes hack was released.

Good points by Chris, it would be great if Post Ratings were extended to more than just thread content and could be easily tapped into by addon developers for other content.

Perhaps a XenForo implementation would be necessary for that, but I don't see that being a priority for Mike and Kier. Would be nice, but much bigger fish to fry so to speak. I will like this idea though :)

Don't know. I personally have post ratings downloaded and haven't installed it. It's really not appropriate for a lot of types of forums and a nuisance. I wouldn't mind it in core, but I'd never use it.

I'm very much in favour of any enhancement of the XenForo rating system. In its current state its not useful for my sites.

In the age of gamification it would really help to see a more advanced rating system.

I see it like the Smilie Management... you are not constrained to use all the Smilies. You can choose to add o disable what you want.

With a Enhanced "Like" System you can for example:
  • create your "rating" with custom value +1, +5, -2 etc
    • example: filter post with less # points than or more than #points (I see some semiauto-moderation here)
    • <put your ideas here>
  • permission on who can use specific or groups of rates
    • example: fast moderation (mods can give for example a -20 rate with a click so it will hide instantly and than manage it)
    • <put your ideas here>
  • use your trophy points to rate
    • example: you have 100 trophy point, you give a Like (+1) to a post and your trophy points go down to 99 ((discouraging rating spammer giving more value to the Like... your are giving away your earned trophy points)
    • example: you have 100 trophy point, you give a -1 to a post and your trophy points do down to 98 (discouraging rating war)
    • <put your ideas here>
  • <put your ideas here>
  • <put your ideas here>
  • etc

Post ratings is a very useful addon. Members love it. I would hope xenforo would find a back door way of telling Luke that his addon will be redundant in 2.0 if that is the plan.

Why?

He would find out the same way as everyone else.

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
Uhmmmm Brogan... so I hit the bull's eye? :censored:

Well in case something similar or even better will be in the core I think that the author of one of the most loved add-ons will be contacted privately... but we will never knows that. :whistle: ...or simply he will continue to get Post Rating better and better or dedicate his effort to extend the new core rating system (if will exist :oops:).

We have mainly dislikes on our forum. They work wonderful and suit our content, which is hardly appropriate material for this forum. All I can say when someone "likes" a like button but feels threatened by a dislike is wow, facebook really brought narcissism and unwarranted self importance to the forefront of posting crap online. Great.

When Xenforo was created Facebook only had a Like Button. Xenforo only had a Like Button too.
Facebook now has extended their Like system. I think Xenforo should as well in XF 2.0

Top Bottom