Licensing Question

Zanthor

So I'm a disgruntled vB admin looking at xenForo as a replacement for vB5 and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. The last question I have has to do with licensing as the site I'm working on is for a 501C3 non profit organization I work for.

My plans are to first fund a xenForo license out of pocket and do a proof of concept site to make sure I don't go before my peers on on the Board of Directors and say 'I screwed up, but here's a solution, I think...' Instead I'll be able to go before them and say 'Here's the list of problems with vB5, I failed to do my job on THIS round but I've done the work to make sure it's right the 2nd time.'

Once they approve the purchase I want to buy the organization a license (not transfer mine), and I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any gotcha's with going that route. This way I retain a xenForo license I've paid for out of pocket and avoid doing double work of implementing their site and migration a third time.

If I understand you correctly, you want to purchase a license, install and set it up and eventually hand it over to your employer, but at the same time keep a license for yourself?

The easiest way to do that, without doing a license transfer is to purchase and set it up.
Then get your employer to purchase another license, update the domain details for both (swap the URL), then hand the original site over to them.

That way you keep the original license, they have a new license and no transfer is required.

The easiest way to do that, without doing a license transfer is to purchase and set it up.
Then get your employer to purchase another license, update the domain details for both (swap the URL), then hand the original site over to them.

That way you keep the original license, they have a new license and no transfer is required.

Exactly what I was hoping, didn't expect there to be a problem, but I didn't expect vB5 to absolutely suck!

Thanks for the help!

Exactly what I was hoping, didn't expect there to be a problem, but I didn't expect vB5 to absolutely suck!

Thanks for the help!

I think you'll like XenForo. We made the transition from VB to XF a little over a month ago.

XF has been a breeze to work with - there are good people to assist when I've needed help, and software has worked as described for our community.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have with mine.

Have XenForo installed, XenPorta installed, a style installed, some customizations done and almost have the look and feel how I want it.

Need to get XenPorta totally figured out, lots of power there... then need to get what will essentially be some static content pages setup and navigation to them... once that's done I can migrate my meager user base and move on with life.

Top Bottom