Licensing and payment

Lukas W.

Hey guys,

as I'm not that used to selling stuff and creating licenses. I have thought about a lot of ways to set up licenses, but I just wanted to ask to be on the safe side of the river. So basically it is a lot about selling styles but most of the questions are probably also transferable to the selling of mods.

So, am I allowed to
  1. limit the license saled to a single forum installation? (The buyer is only allowed to install the style in one of his forums)
  2. limit the license saled to a single installation in a single forum? (The buyer is only allowed to install the style once in one of his forums)
  3. limit the modifications of the style? (The buyer is only allowed to alter defined parts of the style, not everything)
  4. sell additional offers in the ressource manager of this site? (For example setup or altering the style for extra payment)

And can I
  1. sell the style in the ressource manager without having a purchase-and-download-URL? The buyer would receive the purchased stuff as email attachment.
  2. sell multiple instances of the style to a single user inside the ressource manager? (As it comes to one installation in one forum, something like selling one style in multiple colors without setting up additional threads but charging an additional fee per color)

Thanks for any answer on even a single point of the above :) and sorry for being such a stupido when it comes to licensing stuff.

Thanks a lot. To the last sentence of yours: it's just about the user being able to purchase the style multiple times through the ressource manager. Will he receive a notice he has already purchased the addon/style or will he just be redirected to the payment page every time he clicks the button?

Hey guys,

as I'm not that used to selling stuff and creating licenses. I have thought about a lot of ways to set up licenses, but I just wanted to ask to be on the safe side of the river. So basically it is a lot about selling styles but most of the questions are probably also transferable to the selling of mods.

So, am I allowed to
  1. limit the license saled to a single forum installation? (The buyer is only allowed to install the style in one of his forums)
  2. limit the license saled to a single installation in a single forum? (The buyer is only allowed to install the style once in one of his forums)
  3. limit the modifications of the style? (The buyer is only allowed to alter defined parts of the style, not everything)
  4. sell additional offers in the ressource manager of this site? (For example setup or altering the style for extra payment)

And can I
  1. sell the style in the ressource manager without having a purchase-and-download-URL? The buyer would receive the purchased stuff as email attachment.
  2. sell multiple instances of the style to a single user inside the ressource manager? (As it comes to one installation in one forum, something like selling one style in multiple colors without setting up additional threads but charging an additional fee per color)

Thanks for any answer on even a single point of the above :) and sorry for being such a stupido when it comes to licensing stuff.

*Sold

Sorry i had to.

1. limit the modifications of the style? (The buyer is only allowed to alter defined parts of the style, not everything)
As stated, you can set the terms however you want but whether they're adhered to is another story.

As for the above quote, if someone is buying a style off you, that becomes their property and why would you not want them to modify it as they see fit? When somebody buys a copy of XenForo, they can modify any code they want.

Top Bottom