1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License Verification, why?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Verringer, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

I've had this question for a long time.

Why is XenForo's license verification done in such an odd way. I love having the code, for verifying you own the license with websites (TAZ is my primary example) - however for reporting a stolen license it isn't much good, since you have to ask the person for their code. WHMCS do it like this.

Would it be possible to have a license checker created that returns whether that domain is licensed - would help with piracy. Thanks. Also, not sure where this would go so I put it here.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

We don't expose customer details publicly, which includes domains.

3. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

I mean a system to enter a domain into a field and it'll return whether that domain is licensed or not - if it isn't, we know if it's worthwhile to submit a report to you guys.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That would constitute exposing customer data, which is not something we do.

Amaury likes this.
  5. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

It's to stop people not using a XenForo license and getting away with it - it's too difficult to report a site for suspicion of being ran illegally.

6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Really? Using the Contact Us link and saying "Hey, I think <link to forum here> is using an illegal copy of Xenforo and thought you should know" is difficult?

Amaury likes this.
  7. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

No, however based on suspicion is a waste of the staff's time. I know far too many for the staff to check based on suspicion.

8. Tracy Perry

Doesn't take them that long to do... and it also protects the end customer. I prefer the way they do it now.

Dakota Storm likes this.
  9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

The verification system was primarily for resource providers so that we could verify if someone is a possible pirate or not. Really isn't meant for people who just want to find pirates.

10. Tracy Perry

fudd.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015