License questions

EdSt

Hello Xenforo,

I've been going over your FAQs and licensing documentation and I have some questions I would like to get cleared up before moving on with the purchase of your software.

License questions:

1) Regenerate token:

"...If you wish to change your token, it can be regenerated from there. Note that your previous tokens will immediately fail to validate....."

QUESTION: This is not very clear to me, in what case would I need to regenerate a token?

2) Token validation API requests, a limitation of the "normal" traffic a site can handle?

"...Each IP can only make 1000 API requests per 24 hours. The request period restarts a midnight GMT. If you need more requests than this, contact us to discuss your requirements....."

QUESTION: I don't understand this. Why would a site need to validate its token more than once?

QUESTION: Does a "normal" client side request from my users (posts, thread starts, replies, admin changes, etc.) also trigger an API token validation request?

QUESTION: Does this mean that a XenForo site can only handle 1000 client site requests a day, and if we get more we have to contact you about it?

3) Test sites

"You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff."

QUESTION: Do I need to register the test site as well?

4) Copyright and branding

"...All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited...."

"... Branding Removal - $250*"

QUESTION: If we decide on the Branding Removal package, is this a one-time-fee, or will this need to be renewed yearly as well?

QUESTION: Can we remove all visible references of Xenforo?

QUESTION: Will we get instructions on how to do this?

QUESTION: Is this a new installation?

5) Add On licenses

"....Access to Support and Updates for the Add-on is dependent on the associated License having current access to Support and Updates. The License's Extension Payment may be changed by the purchase of Add-ons. Once an Add-on is purchased, the Extension Payment will always take the Add-on into account. To not extend an Add-on with an Extension Payment, You must contact us to cancel the Add-on before making the Extension Payment. No refund will be given in this case and should You wish to re-gain access to the Add-on, You will need to re-purchase it....."

"...
If you purchase any add-ons (such as XenForo Enhanced Search), their renewal costs will be automatically added as part of your XenForo license extension. For example, with the XenForo Enhanced search, a 1 year extension would be offered at $50 ($40 + $10). If you wish to renew your license without the add-on, the add-on can be cancelled by contacting us. However, to regain access to the add-on, you must purchase it again. ...."

EXAMPLE: So let's say we purchase Xenforo in 2018 with Enhanced search. It's now 2019, and we're fine running the forum software and add on as is, and we wouldn't need any upgrades or support for either the forum sw or the add-on sw.

QUESTION: Would we need to buy an extension license for either the forum software or the Enhanced search add on in 2019?

QUESTION: What if we just want to extend our support for the forum software?

QUESTION: What if we just want to extend our support for the add on software?

Many thanks for your help :)

Ed

License questions:

1) Regenerate token:

"...If you wish to change your token, it can be regenerated from there. Note that your previous tokens will immediately fail to validate....."

QUESTION: This is not very clear to me, in what case would I need to regenerate a token?

2) Token validation API requests, a limitation of the "normal" traffic a site can handle?

"...Each IP can only make 1000 API requests per 24 hours. The request period restarts a midnight GMT. If you need more requests than this, contact us to discuss your requirements....."

QUESTION: I don't understand this. Why would a site need to validate its token more than once?

QUESTION: Does a "normal" client side request from my users (posts, thread starts, replies, admin changes, etc.) also trigger an API token validation request?

QUESTION: Does this mean that a XenForo site can only handle 1000 client site requests a day, and if we get more we have to contact you about it?
You can disregard all of this as it isn't related to what you think. This is about the license validation API which is merely a method we provide to allow third parties to validate your license. It's a developer tool and has nothing to do with the day to day running of a license.

3) Test sites

"You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff."

QUESTION: Do I need to register the test site as well?
When you have a license, the only details we need there are the live site title and live site URL. You don't have to list your test site.

4) Copyright and branding

"...All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited...."

"... Branding Removal - $250*"

QUESTION: If we decide on the Branding Removal package, is this a one-time-fee, or will this need to be renewed yearly as well?

QUESTION: Can we remove all visible references of Xenforo?

QUESTION: Will we get instructions on how to do this?

QUESTION: Is this a new installation?
It's a one time fee.

The branding it talks about is this link that shows on every page:
Forum software by XenForo™ © 2010-2018 XenForo Ltd.

That can only be removed if you purchase the branding removal. All other XenForo branding (logos, colours, how the site looks and feels) can be modified to your liking without limitation, regardless of whether you have branding removal of not. There will still be references to XenForo in the code, these cannot be removed for technical reasons.

The copyright message will be removed automatically if you own the branding removal extra.

5) Add On licenses

"....Access to Support and Updates for the Add-on is dependent on the associated License having current access to Support and Updates. The License's Extension Payment may be changed by the purchase of Add-ons. Once an Add-on is purchased, the Extension Payment will always take the Add-on into account. To not extend an Add-on with an Extension Payment, You must contact us to cancel the Add-on before making the Extension Payment. No refund will be given in this case and should You wish to re-gain access to the Add-on, You will need to re-purchase it....."

"...
If you purchase any add-ons (such as XenForo Enhanced Search), their renewal costs will be automatically added as part of your XenForo license extension. For example, with the XenForo Enhanced search, a 1 year extension would be offered at $50 ($40 + $10). If you wish to renew your license without the add-on, the add-on can be cancelled by contacting us. However, to regain access to the add-on, you must purchase it again. ...."

EXAMPLE: So let's say we purchase Xenforo in 2018 with Enhanced search. It's now 2019, and we're fine running the forum software and add on as is, and we wouldn't need any upgrades or support for either the forum sw or the add-on sw.

QUESTION: Would we need to buy an extension license for either the forum software or the Enhanced search add on in 2019?

QUESTION: What if we just want to extend our support for the forum software?

QUESTION: What if we just want to extend our support for the add on software?
Purchasing the extension is entirely optional. If you do not purchase the extension you will be no longer entitled to further upgrades or ticket support until such a time you purchase the license extension, at which point you will get an additional 12 months from the purchase date of the extension.

It's not possible to extend the support for the forum and add-on products separately. They are intrinsically linked - the add-on products will expire when the main forum license expires and when you renew the forum license, it will also renew the add-on products.

Many thanks Chris!

OK, pretty much everything is clear except the add-ons bit...

So if I purchase a license for the forum and add-on in 2018, and I'm ok with how it is running, thus I don't need further support or upgrades....can I choose not to extend my license for both, and keep on using the forum AND the add-on in 2019, 2020, 2021, until forever...etc. without ever extending my license for either?

Many thanks!

Many thanks Chris!

OK, pretty much everything is clear except the add-ons bit...

So if I purchase a license for the forum and add-on in 2018, and I'm ok with how it is running, thus I don't need further support or upgrades....can I choose not to extend my license for both, and keep on using the forum AND the add-on in 2019, 2020, 2021, until forever...etc. without ever extending my license for either?

Many thanks!
That’s correct :)

Top Bottom