License Question

Hello, if i was to buy a license, and then it was to expire, does that stop me from using the software, or can I still use it, just not download new versions if they are released?

Thanks for any help.

Because you can't guarantee that the site won't be listed by a search engine or that a link to the site won't be passed on to others, inadvertently or otherwise. Plus depending on the test site URL, it is possible to simply guess or work out what it is. I've certainly found 'hidden' test sites before.
So, they find your test site, then what are they going to do there? no members, half broken (probably) and so on.
Really can get the point of this requirement. You can also restrict all search engines by robots.txt/firewall/whatever.

So, they find your test site, then what are they going to do there? no members, half broken (probably) and so on.
Really can get the point of this requirement. You can also restrict all search engines by robots.txt/firewall/whatever.
The point is a test site should be for testing/development and not for any other purpose. Some people will try to push the boundaries on this, especially if the site is open to the public, "yes it's for testing but we just use it for a bit of chatting about development, oh and a few other things etc with a few other non-developers but it really is a test site, honest". So that's why the stipulation is in the licence.

I do not understand what is meant by "must be password protected". Just close the site by clicking the mode in the admin panel to " site is closed" and all users have passwords?

The point is a test site should be for testing/development and not for any other purpose. Some people will try to push the boundaries on this, especially if the site is open to the public, "yes it's for testing but we just use it for a bit of chatting about development, oh and a few other things etc with a few other non-developers but it really is a test site, honest". So that's why the stipulation is in the licence.
But then I can be a smartass and claim that this is my development staff, as permitted in the license agreement. In addition, I can give the password to many people to "chat about development t" and XF wouldn't be able to know about it since they don't have the password. So yes, I still don't get this requirement.

You don't need to "get" it.
You just need to abide by it as that is the decision the owners of the company have decided to make.
I don't have a test area online (using localhost). So you basically agree there is no logic behind this requirement since you just say to follow it because whatever.

And here it is right? Not every time to write the password.

Order Deny,Allow
# запрет для всех на доступ к ресурсу

Deny from all
# разрешаем только следующим

Allow from local.

Allow from 100.99.99.1, 77.243.104.111

Top Bottom