XF 2.1 Latest threads

JoyFreak

I just wondered why there isn't a tab/feature for "New threads" on the What's new page: https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/
There is one for New posts but that gets updated due to new content but would have bee good to have one that is strictly for new threads being created.

Anyone know an add-on for this or a way to achieve this?

Reactions: ehd
I think you have misunderstood the purpose of this thread and my question, what it is I want to achieve.

You can edit what shows in what's new by going to the template whats_new_wrapper

It would require a custom edit of the link there. Possibly using @AndyB method in a link but directing it towards that template would probably achieve the desired effect. The template controls the main links inside the whats new widget and can be controlled there.

I don't think there is a link in the wrapper for just threads, if I remember correctly. (For some reason, new threads has always been the poor unwanted cousin of new posts, although things have improved a lot since 2.0.) I'm not sure how you'd go about getting a new threads pane with page navigation, but you can at least disable the default navigation for it under What's New and create a New Threads widget to display there instead - at least that way you can choose to have as many new threads (and only new threads) display as you want on one page. I've created a homepage where I also display just the newest threads on there.

I don't think there is a link in the wrapper for just threads, if I remember correctly. (For some reason, new threads has always been the poor unwanted cousin of new posts, although things have improved a lot since 2.0.) I'm not sure how you'd go about getting a new threads pane with page navigation, but you can at least disable the default navigation for it under What's New and create a New Threads widget to display there instead - at least that way you can choose to have as many new threads (and only new threads) display as you want on one page. I've created a homepage where I also display just the newest threads on there.

Yeah that is exactly what I've done and tricked the widget/block to look like part of the What's new. I've limited the entries to 40 as it will look messy if its anymore than that on one page. Shame there isn't a pagination for it but this is as close as it will get to what I want doing. I think this can be achieved with an add-on but there isn't one available, who knows, someone might make one in the future. Here's what I have done: https://www.joyfreak.com/whats-new/

Yeah that is exactly what I've done and tricked the widget/block to look like part of the What's new. I've limited the entries to 40 as it will look messy if its anymore than that on one page. Shame there isn't a pagination for it but this is as close as it will get to what I want doing. I think this can be achieved with an add-on but there isn't one available, who knows, someone might make one in the future. Here's what I have done: https://www.joyfreak.com/whats-new/
That's how I have it, except I think I have it set to display 75 threads by default. Works out fine for me, I don't mind if users have to - God forbid - scroll a little more on their tiny phone screens, the lazy *******s. J/K (sorta). But yeah, I don't know how much is achievable with an addon. Either no one knows how to do it, if it's even possible, or no one has seen a need for it.

That's how I have it, except I think I have it set to display 75 threads by default. Works out fine for me, I don't mind if users have to - God forbid - scroll a little more on their tiny phone screens, the lazy *******s. J/K (sorta). But yeah, I don't know how much is achievable with an addon. Either no one knows how to do it, if it's even possible, or no one has seen a need for it.

It is achievable and can be found as part of another add-on, Topics by ThemeHouse. It’s just I do not wish to use an add-on that is used for another purpose even though there is an option to switch the topics off and still use the latest threads feature. I just think no one has seen a need for it. But like I say, this method we got going on is as good as it will get.

Ah. I have that addon, but couldn't remember how it worked there. I could never enable their New Threads because it conflicts with Xon's Prefix Essentials addon.

Top Bottom