XF 2.1 Latest Threads Widget showing ignored members threads

nrep

We've had a couple of users ask why threads are showing on the latest threads widget, but aren't visible in the forum. It turns out that this is because these threads were created by members on the user ignore list, but still show up on the sidebar widget.

This is in XF2.1 RC1

Thanks for the reply Chris, I checked further with the member that alerted me to this and it doesn't look like they were talking about the sidebar after all - they meant the latest thread link on the forum list.

From what I understand they've done, they "ignored" a member, then saw a thread title was the latest thread in a forum with a reply from a non-ignored member (on the homepage, next to the forum title). When they then viewed the forum section, they could not find the thread. I'm not sure if this is as intended or not, as the latest post may be by a non-ignored member, but that thread wouldn't show in the thread list.

You can see that in the video too, incidentally. That's the designed behaviour shown there. We do indicate that the last post is by an ignored member but we don't attempt to hide the last post info in case it is a thread which is by an ignored member.

One part of the reason for that is technical in nature. The last post info comes from a cache on the forum record. So it's not like we can show the next last post, if that makes sense. We could attempt to not show anything there at all but that would just make it stand out even more, if anything.

Ultimately, user ignoring is mostly a "best effort" attempt. It's not feasible to totally eradicate another member's existence.

Top Bottom