As designed  Latest status is blank when you delete a newer status update

Onimua

If you write a status update it will appear on your Member Card and profile in the space above the tabs. However, if you write a newer status and then delete it, those two places will remain blank.

Should it not go back to display the most recent update before the latest status was written?

Attachments

• XF_membercard_no_status.webp
    XF_membercard_no_status.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
  • XF_no_profile_status.webp
    XF_no_profile_status.webp
    17 KB · Views: 4
  • XF_membercard_status.webp
    XF_membercard_status.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 4
  • XF_profile_status.webp
    XF_profile_status.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 4
To be honest, isn't this correct, and intentional?
Since your old status has expired?

First you have coffee, status: Drinking some coffee
Then you go to the store, status: Going to the store

But 5 minutes later you change your mind, you aren't going to the store, and you delete the status msg.

You're not suddenly still drinking coffee. That one expired, once you replaced it with going to the store.

In the case of accidentally entering a status update twice, a user would want to delete one and I imagine that it would be the first one from the top. In that case the user wanted a status to show, but because they deleted the duplicate it will show up blank instead.

In the case of accidentally entering a status update twice, a user would want to delete one and I imagine that it would be the first one from the top. In that case the user wanted a status to show, but because they deleted the duplicate it will show up blank instead.
I think the behavior Floris described is more common that what you're describing, however. Personally, I see this as intended behavior. The user can delete any status update, so if they really did enter it twice they could delete the first one, or delete both and then enter the status again. :)

I think the behavior Floris described is more common that what you're describing, however. Personally, I see this as intended behavior. The user can delete any status update, so if they really did enter it twice they could delete the first one, or delete both and then enter the status again. :)
If you delete the first one (meaning the second on the list on your profile), then it might work. I don't see it as common for someone to delete their status either.

Either way it's a bit annoying to me to have a status, delete the newest one and it doesn't revert to the last one. In Floris' example if someone didn't go to the store after all, they'd likely just make a new stats update anyway. Some people don't even change their status to keep up with what they're doing anyway, and usually do it on a whim, so even if someone said they were going to the store it wouldn't surprise me if it still said the same thing 6 hours later.

If you delete the first one (meaning the second on the list on your profile), then it might work. I don't see it as common for someone to delete their status either.

Either way it's a bit annoying to me to have a status, delete the newest one and it doesn't revert to the last one. In Floris' example if someone didn't go to the store after all, they'd likely just make a new stats update anyway. Some people don't even change their status to keep up with what they're doing anyway, and usually do it on a whim, so even if someone said they were going to the store it wouldn't surprise me if it still said the same thing 6 hours later.
Until yesterday my status was still "going on vacation until Tuesday" from a couple of weeks ago. :P

Not saying it's right or wrong, but this is the same thing that Facebook does.
I just tested this as I never knew it did that. :p I guess I never noticed as I've seen what I describe happen in the feed - latest status gets deleted and the previous one is prominent (only with statuses made within a short period of time anyway).

Which way would this go then? Suggestion or bug?

Suggestion. Seems like it's designed-as-is and to be honest I do like it. If you wanted to just not have a status you'd have to make a blank one using a space, or delete all of your previous statuses.

Top Bottom