KONY 2012

Interesting. I was thinking about doing 10% of all sales go to it. But now I'm not heh.

Wouldn't mind 10% going to some charity though... make me feel all fuzzy inside.

428635_388283754533282_257970650897927_1426899_979985982_n.jpg

So your going to go all condescending wonka on people for actually getting motivated to care enough about something to actually take some action?

It may not be the most important cause in your view and there me be some controversy over the company and their plan of action in this case. But who are you to say what causes deserve more attention/support than others?

The fact that anyone may not have heard about any given issue before deciding to take action and contribute towards solving that issue shouldn't detract from any positive contributions they're trying to make.

I realise you probably didn't make that meme Slavik, but belittling someone for getting enthusiastic about a cause and wanting to help others, no matter who they are or where in the world they are is BS mate.

So your going to go all condescending wonka on people for actually getting motivated to care enough about something to actually take some action?

I realise you probably didn't make that meme Slavik, but belittling someone for getting enthusiastic about a cause and wanting to help others, no matter who they are or where in the world they are is BS mate.

Before I start, this is not having a go at you, however...

It's just like every other thing like this you see pop up every few months.

People go crazy, save the children, save the dolphins, save the tree rocks, lets group up, donate millions and do something.

What happens? Maybe 1% of the people pushing the crap actually donate or do something and in 6 months time, little to nothing has changed and nobody cares about it anymore until they can hop onto the next viral video they find to make themselves look like they are helping save the world when in fact they do diddly squat.

My rant is more to do with the fact that 99% of the people who peddle this stuff won't ever act on it.

Before I start, this is not having a go at you, however...

It's just like every other thing like this you see pop up every few months.

People go crazy, save the children, save the dolphins, save the tree rocks, lets group up, donate millions and do something.

What happens? Maybe 1% of the people pushing the crap actually donate or do something and in 6 months time, little to nothing has changed and nobody cares about it anymore until they can hop onto the next viral video they find to make themselves look like they are helping save the world when in fact they do diddly squat.

My rant is more to do with the fact that 99% of the people who peddle this stuff won't ever act on it.

Absolutely mate, there are a lot of people who will literally just make the FB post or tweet and forget it, feeling they've done something. I was reading far too much into the meme really.

I think what fascinates me about this one is it really shows what power social media can have when combined with great marketing and connecting with people (younger people in particular) on a level that they can relate to. It makes them feel they can do something and it also gives them tangible ways in which they can try to make a difference (as opposed 'lyk dis if you wnt 2 stop tha war').

I like to see people enthused about trying to make a difference and it seems a fair few people may actually take it that step further in this case - Robbo was actually prepared to donate money and I can't say that didn't considering donating monetarily or helping out in some other way.

It's just a shame there's a fair bit of controversy over this particular charity and I really don't have the time right now to read into it much further to make a more educated decision.

An opinion outside of pro-IC that should be considered. http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

I'm not against the idea of arresting international creeps like Joseph Kony, but this issue has been going on for years!!! Obama addressed this issue and sent over 100 military advisors to assist the Ugandans in methods/strategies of fighting and ending the LRA. As I understand it from previous news... the LRA are divided and failing (3,000 troops estimated but I think a bit over 1,000 confirmed troops). They are divided and in hiding. Quite a few of the LRA are leaving and returning home-peacefully. LRA have been loosing their power for years. There have been precautions placed up for assisting the smaller/defenseless villages/towns that were targeted by the LRA for troops and supplies. Sudan and I think another army is sending in help to end the LRA...

Joseph Kony is near his end. Kony 2012 could not have come at a later time! Has anyone looked at the IC financial chart? I LOVE how the 7% towards media is a visually tiny portion than the the 2% towards Fundraising... I know the numbers are there for people who read but that right there is an ugly tactic IMO. I love how they plan that 3 million dollars of their 8 million is actually going towards providing a real difference for the the victims and Ugandans.
There were programs and charities before IC and they have dedicated much effort and time into the cause for YEARS. I'm sure not quite as much money wise, but in a way I do feel IC is abusing it. For a man who has caused so much pain, but has little left behind, they are making a BIG deal about it.

I'm all for the end of Kony but I see no use in sending more men/women/anything to assist in something that Uganda and others are doing well in. ALL OF THIS is being done with very little assistance from the US. I feel our resources could utilized and targeted towards something that's a growing threat, or is more powerful than Kony. Here we are raising awareness/fundraising an effort for chasing after a man whose army is starving/divided and is leaving him. The only chance the LRA have is when the bad weather hits Uganda. During that period they can attack villages and use the bad weather to their advantage BUT I AM SURE the US assistance is already planning a defense against this.

Please don't take me as an insensitive person but everyday Americans/activists look to assist foreign countries in their ordeals and right here in our backyard there are many of the same or similar issues. Everyone wants to help someone, but I think as a nation we should look at ourselves and understand that we can't fully assist other countries until we are doing better again.

The article linked above changed my mind straight away... when I donate I want it to go to the damn cause not film production.

Now that's the same guy in the following video who is teaching his kid and other thousands of dumb and stupid Americans why America should invade Uganda .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom