Duplicate 2.2.7 crippled functionality with LG 2017 TV WebOS browser

Ernomies

Affected version
I know using a TV browser isn't exactly common but I use it every day.

With the latest 2.2.7 update following things have changed:

-I cannot make new threads anymore. The message box is empty.
-I cannot reply to threads anymore. The reply box is empty.
-I can only like messages, popup menu for reactions is gone.
-Popup menus for alerts and profile don't work either.

Javascript disabled in the browser? Do other sites work? Does 2.2.6 sites still work?
There is no settings for Javascript in the browser. There were no problems with earlier versions.

Functionality with other (non-Xenforo) sites have gone down slowly too because LG never updates the browser in their TVs.

Last edited:
We did receive a report that a particularly old phone browser exhibited similar issues and it potentially pertains to changes we made to how we compile JavaScript code to minify it.

However, I believe that was a browser from circa 2014 and I was unable to reproduce it in an ancient version of Chromium. So I'd be surprised if a browser from 2017 (or shortly before) was affected in the same way. Though, clearly, there has to be a cut off point in terms of how far back we can support older browsers when the majority of users are on modern, automatically updated ones.

That all being said, some users reported similar things shortly after the upgrade and clearing the browser caches resolved it. So I'd try that first.

We'll leave this open for a while in case we can reproduce it ourselves with a view to debugging it but I'm not able to guarantee a fix at this point.

We have a user that is unable to post after we upgraded 2.2.7. He is using an "older Nokia phone". That is all we know. It was working fine before the update.

I have a user accessing the site using a older i386 based PC running windows 3.11 for workgroups.
He's using Netscape 2 but the site will no longer works for him since I upgraded to 2.2.7
Please can you fix the bugs so I can get it working?

A regression for older browsers was recently addressed and should land in 2.2.8. You might be able to replace the js/xf/editor-compiled.js file with the one here to see if that solves your issue in the meantime.

It's worth noting that warnings are displayed in the most pertinent older browsers, and that the latest versions of Edge, Chrome, and Firefox are still available on Windows 7.

@Ernomies if you're able to test this again on this forum using your TV browser can you confirm it now works correctly?

We have made a number of changes which should have made a difference.

@Ernomies To help troubleshoot the problem, please supply the exact model number of your TV, the firmware version and if possible, the version of the browser it's using. Please check for firmware updates, too.

Actually, most of that doesn't matter. But if you Google "what is my user agent" that might help us identify the browser in use.

Google usually returns that at the top of the results:

1636920279886.webp

If not, the user agent string as provided by any of the websites in the search results is fine.

But, as I said, at this point we're just hoping to confirm the issue is resolved. If not, then yeah the user agent string will be helpful.

If you could help us track down the user agent of your LG TV then that'd be useful.

Actually, most of that doesn't matter. But if you Google "what is my user agent" that might help us identify the browser in use.

Google usually returns that at the top of the results:

View attachment 260226

If not, the user agent string as provided by any of the websites in the search results is fine.

But, as I said, at this point we're just hoping to confirm the issue is resolved. If not, then yeah the user agent string will be helpful.

@Ernomies To help troubleshoot the problem, please supply the exact model number of your TV, the firmware version and if possible, the version of the browser it's using. Please check for firmware updates, too.
If you could help us track down the user agent of your LG TV then that'd be useful.

LG OLED55B7V

Firmware version 06.00.25

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Netcast; U) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.122 Safari/537.31 SmartTV/7.5

Actually there were also changes in our core.js which could be relevant.

Could you please just log into this forum from your TV and let us know if it is any different here? If so then we can call it fixed.

Top Bottom