XF 1.4 Kinda confused with usergroups.

turbos

Hi all,

I'm trying to do the following

When a new member register he has very limited access to the site. for example can't post links, can't pm other users and very more, until a specific amount of messages in the forum then he can be promoted to the normal member usergroup which has access to those stuff..

I wouldn't have an issue but what confuses me is that I heard the usergroup registered should always stay the same and the secondary usergroup should change instead.

So If I got this right, I need new users to have the default usergroup (registered) and a seconday usergroup, and after let's say 10 post the secondary usergroup get's removed.

Is this the best way ? or is the a better way ?

thanks all

The primary user group should be Registered for every one. Take away all the permissions you want for the Registered user group, and use the Secondary user group(s) to give permissions.

I can't speak for everyone but I almost always set mine up so that the secondary user groups are additive, so add an additional secondary that gives the privileges you want. As long as the other groups have it set to No and not never, a single additional group that has a Yes means the privilege will be granted. Always have your primary group give the least amount of access you want to give and then add to it with secondary ones.

Hi all,

I'm trying to do the following

When a new member register he has very limited access to the site. for example can't post links, can't pm other users and very more, until a specific amount of messages in the forum then he can be promoted to the normal member usergroup which has access to those stuff..

I wouldn't have an issue but what confuses me is that I heard the usergroup registered should always stay the same and the secondary usergroup should change instead.

So If I got this right, I need new users to have the default usergroup (registered) and a seconday usergroup, and after let's say 10 post the secondary usergroup get's removed.

Is this the best way ? or is the a better way ?

thanks all

You can also set the restrictions for the Registered group, set up a new group, and then use the Promotion tool in xenforo to move the members from the Registered group to the new group with more permissions.

You should also note that for some things, like to restrict users to post links for example, you would need a custom mod as it is not supported in the default xenforo.

Thank you all, I can now say I understand how permissions work.

I have set most of the permissions of the registered usergroup to the "Not set" and configured the secondary groups as I wanted.

Is there a way to have as default a secondary group too ? I haven't found any option of it so I'm looking in "User group promotions" and wondering if this is consider ok or is just a bad idea.

2222222.webp

so everybody except mods/admin are in the secondary usergroup, and I will add another promotion when someone reaches 10 messages he will be promoted to the other usergroup

If you want someone to be in a secondary group to add permissions, you should have those permissions in the primary, however, if you do an immediate promotion, that shouldn't be an issue (besides possibly not a direct promotion upon registration)

Top Bottom