Kill Internet Explorer

Unfortunately this is not always an option. Sure if you have a large, dedicated community they will simply do as is required and deal with the annoyance of having to switch browsers either completely or just for your site. But when you are designing websites meant for both returning as well as new visitors you'll see that bounce rate spike through the roof if you simply choose not to support IE at all.

At first, yes. As I said, at first things will look bad and yes, at first you'll take a hit.

But things currently are now better than they were before, when I originally did support Internet Explorer. I actually have a lower bounce rate than when I did support Internet Explorer and all I did was discontinue support for IE.

At first, yes. As I said, at first things will look bad and yes, at first you'll take a hit.

But things currently are now better than they were before, when I originally did support Internet Explorer. I actually have a lower bounce rate than when I did support Internet Explorer and all I did was discontinue support for IE.

That's nice to hear, but just to play devil's advocate; correlation / causation?

That's nice to hear, but just to play devil's advocate; correlation / causation?
www.google.com 2012-6-9 9:34:15.webp

I use IE. If a website I use doesn't play with IE nicely, it never gets visited again.

If you want to catch 90% of folks surfing at work, a site probably needs to be IE friendly. A lot business still use IE for company computer browser. They are in the reverse situation and don't want to have internal IT support answering questions about why Billy Bob's Browser Version 42 doesn't work with CNN or the company HR website.

Invision is no longer supporting IE7 AFAIK. Actually, I recently designed a website for a Team Fortress 2 community and I'm also no longer supporting IE7 (I reluctantly had to support Firefox 3.6 via. HTML5 Shiv, and IE8 on Shiv is decent enough).

But be fair with IE. IE9 is honestly a game changer in terms of how much work you gotta do just to support IE9 (just lacks text-shadow) and the upcoming IE10 is almost leaps and bounds over the offerings Chrome (for example, they support the full version of CSS 3 gradient). We just need to push users to upgrade to IE 9/10 or switch over to Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Opera, and that seems to be happening.

It is a poor decision to not support IE. Is IE a POS and should it die a slow painful death? Yes. But if a site doesn't support IE8+, you are ignoring a LARGE chunk of internet traffic. IE9 is actually pretty decent and when IE10 comes out, we can FINALLY start talking about phasing out IE8.

Honestly, it comes down to talent if you are able to support the 4 major browsers on your site(s).

I recently made a xenforo skin that was compatible back to ie 6 lol..it took a lot of work....that being said...outside of specific things built on M$ tech that require the IE browser to function (no business needs for me...but what I do have to deal with is that IE is pretty much required for windows X.X.X to run)....for years now...I have not and I will never visit anything on the internet again using IE....other than firefox.com which is the first thing I do concerning the internet once I have a fresh install of windows installed in order to replace my default browser and finish up the final settings to my OS environment.

Windows will always be my primary OS no matter how much I pick up working with linux but like I have said for years now, other than xbox live they should stay off our internet, and while they are at it and while I am speaking of xbox...they should stop changing windows (windows 8) to look like the updated xbox dashboard interface and give me my old damn windows shell back, I like the idea of them embracing their name windows by changing their logo but with that they should also use the meaning of their name more.

My personal (yet public note to Microsoft)

A window is a means to advance communicate or see outside of the box. Please stop making my Windows Shell look and feel like a Walled Prison. In fact while you are at that they should add the functionality built into windows for a admin level access user to properly modify the windows shell and/or build their own. These are things that will be useful, you will make money, people building products and services based on these modifications will be making money, users of all walks and skill levels will be happy and even your new Win8 style environment's layout will have a place to live and grow in this idea. You have had plenty of years on the top and have made plenty of money, now it is time to start listening to people again Microsoft. Make what you have right before you go in too many more directions, I don't want to be forced to fully learn a new OS because I am quite comfortable with everything up to Win7 and you are trying to change they way I think and work. You can't add some social networking features which I don't want in my OS which I DO NOT WANT and remove my start bar and expect nothing to happen.

It is time to gut and rebuild, keep what worked, dump the waste and split up what should be split. Money should not be the issue here, you are Microsoft, you will remain as one of the bigs....please do right by all of the people that support your products from people with open arms to the ones who must begrudgingly deal.... and just raise the blinds already, it's hard to see myself supporting your company how I have since I can remember to much into the future when you expect me to be isolated in a box.

Bad idea to simply ignore more than 25% of the Internet. Deal with it.

In other news, Microsoft IE is getting heat for completely different reasons - "Do Not Track" - you may want to become familiar with this issue. It's a very hotly debated topic.

Bad idea to simply ignore more than 25% of the Internet. Deal with it.

In other news, Microsoft IE is getting heat for completely different reasons - "Do Not Track" - you may want to become familiar with this issue. It's a very hotly debated topic.
It's thinking like this, which has allowed Microsoft to attempt to force "their standards" down on people.

If one morning the bulk majority of administrators told Microsoft to take their standards up their a** .... And the majority of sites stopped working well with Internet Explorer..... 1 of 2 things would have to happen

1) Microsoft would finally comply with universal code (like everyone else)

OR

2) People would switch

It's thinking like this, which has allowed Microsoft to attempt to force "their standards" down on people.

If one morning the bulk majority of administrators told Microsoft to take their standards up their a** .... And the majority of sites stopped working well with Internet Explorer..... 1 of 2 things would have to happen

1) Microsoft would finally comply with universal code (like everyone else)

OR

2) People would switch
You don't have to abide by their standards?

Write code with W3C standards, and you should have very few issues with IE. At most add in a few CSS hacks to exclude things from IE to avoid compatibility issues.

You don't have to abide by their standards?

Write code with W3C standards, and you should have very few issues with IE. At most add in a few CSS hacks to exclude things from IE to avoid compatibility issues.
Believe me when I say, IE could care less about W3C Standards (seen it completely ignore it)

That's what I got tired of... Adding extra code for IE, per version. That and my IE users telling me the site did X or looked like Y, when everyone else had no issue.

SEO rating is UP, activity is UP, traffic is UP, and I have less to worry about.

IE8 was the last quirky IE browser, and that isn't anywhere near the quirkiness for IE7 and below. IE9 was a huge improvement, though still lacking some support for html5 and CSS3 (which still aren't standard). Supporting from IE8 and up is easy, you just have to do some tweaks here and there to accommodate IE8. I have done nothing to support IE9, yet there are no known issues. I don't use IE my self, but version 9 is a usable version, no matter what you think of their previous versions.

Top Bottom