Keep your cars inside your house.

Carlos

This is a trend that's been going on for quite a while, over the weekend my mom's car was one of the targets of these thieves...

I didn't know about this until just now. It's been going on as of late across the east bay, which is where we were over the weekend. Anywhere between Oakland to the north east bay. It's about to go viral very soon.

http://abc7news.com/news/7oys-investigates-high-tech-car-burglaries/54042/

You don't need to break into the ignition, you don't need to break into the lock itself anymore. It's now activated by a mechanism.

So, do yourself a favor, if you have a garage, LEAVE it in there until you're ready to drive to another place. This is becoming a big problem.

Police Officers currently don't know about this, your mechanic doesn't know about this. Virtually anyone remotely does car work doesn't know this right now.

You say this until your car burns your house down. Its rare but what was it the 03 explorer, either way cruiser control part of the turn signal switch was setting cars on fire. One guys house was the victim while he was on vacation.

Kinda surprised about how discrete this is. But its not as if the keyless entry systems were that safe to begin with. In 2007 we had a 08 Escape stolen from in front of the house. Fully electronic heist that shocked me since I worked for Ford at the time. Unlocked the door coded a key that was precut from the vin. Not a spur of the moment random target. Those keys were 100 bucks dealer cost too lol.

Lucky for me the last person to break into my vehicle used thebsame window I do when I lock myself out so I already had a spare window. Then there was the Austin Healey which my 66 was the first year for door locks... What's the point on a soft top.

Hide your steer wheels. Nobody can drive without it.

/bean
Tell that to the person in austrailia arrested driving a car with no wheel:
Steering-wheel_2625587b.jpg

You say this until your car burns your house down. Its rare but what was it the 03 explorer, either way cruiser control part of the turn signal switch was setting cars on fire. One guys house was the victim while he was on vacation.
Keyword: Rare.
Kinda surprised about how discrete this is. But its not as if the keyless entry systems were that safe to begin with. In 2007 we had a 08 Escape stolen from in front of the house. Fully electronic heist that shocked me since I worked for Ford at the time. Unlocked the door coded a key that was precut from the vin. Not a spur of the moment random target. Those keys were 100 bucks dealer cost too lol.
The vehicles that are being stolen with this technology right now; Dude they aren't "keyless." These cars are normal, everyday cars - in other words? The top 5 most stolen cars that are impossible to break into, just became possible. The top 5 most easiest stolen cars? Piece of cake. The new technology seems like a derivative of what you're suggesting.

My mom's car was an old generation car, so in other words, it requires a physical key just to get in, and likewise, to lock it, you'd need to manually lock it from inside. Now, to ignite a car, you'd need to either: Break the "hood" around the ignition to match the electric current with the right current to steal it. Or you could use like screwdriver to turn it on. The thief on Mother's Day (when it occurred) used NEITHER!

Last edited:
Keyword: Rare.

The vehicles that are being stolen with this technology right now; Dude they aren't "keyless." These cars are normal, everyday cars - in other words? The top 5 most stolen cars that are impossible to break into, just became possible. The top 5 most easiest stolen cars? Piece of cake. The new technology seems like a derivative of what you're suggesting.
You read past "entry". Keyless entry is not a keyless vehicle. My ancient doesn't even have an electric fan, overheats in traffic S10 has keyless entry. It uses rolling codes as a security feature and even the more modern system on the 08 Escape which also does was easily bypassed. Push of a button the doors were opened. Allowing the the if to program the key which HAD to be done with the vehicle present. Though if all they wanted was what was inside all the better.

You read past "entry". Keyless entry is not a keyless vehicle. My ancient doesn't even have an electric fan, overheats in traffic S10 has keyless entry. It uses rolling codes as a security feature and even the more modern system on the 08 Escape which also does was easily bypassed. Push of a button the doors were opened. Allowing the the if to program the key which HAD to be done with the vehicle present. Though if all they wanted was what was inside all the better.
Nope. First hand experience, dude. The person left the car intact, as in, scratchless... The only things he stole are the stereo, and the phone. Nothing else.

My mom's car was an old generation car, so in other words, it requires a physical key just to get in, and likewise, to lock it, you'd need to manually lock it from inside. Now, to ignite a car, you'd need to either: Break the "hood" around the ignition to match the electric current with the right current to steal it. Or you could use like screwdriver to turn it on. The thief on Mother's Day (when it occurred) used NEITHER!

Older car all you need is power to the ignition coil, the fuel pump and assuming 80s or newer the computer to control the ignition and or fuel injection. Trigger the relay for the starter long enough for it turn over and let off. My 66 had no column lock and while the points had been replaced with a computerized trigger all it needed was power.

My S10 is a different story. The computer will refuse to run the fuel injection. You have to match the resistance in the ignition cylinder. Which I don't know how the S10 is but the first Vette that had VATS only had 10 or 12 values. I feel it was a mistake they moved the resistor from the key to the switch because it meant a successful pick would start the car fine.

Real simple... if it's made by man it can be broken by man. That's why I don't leave anything of value in my vehicles and keep them fully insured.

Older car all you need is power to the ignition coil, the fuel pump and assuming 80s or newer the computer to control the ignition and or fuel injection. Trigger the relay for the starter long enough for it turn over and let off. My 66 had no column lock and while the points had been replaced with a computerized trigger all it needed was power.
Ah, so you DO know what this article is talking about!

Ah, so you DO know what this article is talking about!
Nah. Pretty sure the article while not mentioning it is covering the door lock actuators on vehicles with power door locks. There is no way someone's using a magnet to move the door lock linkage. The force required would leave visible damage.

However with power door locks the linkage is moved by an electro magnetic actuator. If you can somehow get the coil to move the linkage without directly energizing the coil then the door will unlock. I am no scientist or engineer so I can't comment on the plasuability. I have yet to see the video as I am at work. Just going off the text. I'm probably wrong as most of these actuators use a geared motor. Seems like too much energy for a light package.

Last edited:
Yeah, nobody's believing this story, at all. That's the craziest part of it all.
Insurance companies refused to believe when the 04 Civics and the like were getting stolen. They said you have all your keys it can't be stolen. However there was a bypass and indeed the vehicles had been stolen.

Insurance companies refused to believe when the 04 Civics and the like were getting stolen. They said you have all your keys it can't be stolen. However there was a bypass and indeed the vehicles had been stolen.
Only going to get worse. Other car models have been broken into. The recent sweep of cars being stolen by this tech is only going to rise and a lot of people will be SOL by the end of the day.

I don't believe it until proven.
Well my current thought after skimming that Canadian article describing a small em pulse is this. Power lock systems are not isolated simple electric circuits on modern vehicles. Most of them are connected to the body control module to add extra features like locking the doors when the vehicle is in motion. You never know how even a basic computer is going to react when Attacked like that. Perhaps there exists a common flaw that's causing these systems to react by powering the door lock actuator.

Perhaps there exists a common flaw that's causing these systems to react by powering the door lock actuator.
They are just pulling our legs, I believe.

I locked my car key in my car, couldn't open it without going home with the spare key.
Called road assistance, they open the door in minutes, because they know how to do it.

Here a lady arriving, comfortably opens the doors with a secret device.
They suspect that earlier there were some break ins with the same device.
For weeks the car mechanics, police don't know about this device?

Why not just go all out and not use a car. :rolleyes: Cars have been getting stolen since they were first invented - that's not going to change any time soon.

There's a something on the TV over here the other day from the police showing how easy it is to get past the new no-key mechanisms.

Top Bottom