• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Just wrote my first serious Addon for Xenforo

Sadik B

The thing is I am a very very lazy guy... and a very reluctant coder. I have an Engg degree in Comp Science but I have been working with business apps for so long I rarely get to code.

Now as I had posted in the showcase forum, I recently gave the General Forums niche a go... Ever since google indexed some pages and we had traffic, the Spammers started having a field day. It seems reCaptcha is absolutely useless. Spammers were registering left, right and center. I quickly switched to Q&A but still there were these manual spammers who would register, jump to members page, open all the profile pages and start posting links and email addresses to everyone and then the same with PC.

Members started complaining and one guy even threatened me lol... :D

I suggested a post based link checker to Ragtek and he has indeed made one, but currently it's checking only posts. Borbole has an excellent Mod which checks posts, threads, PC but not profile posts. Jaxel's Xenutils checks profile posts but only of the member's own profile pages. So apparently there was nothing that could meet my pressing need of stopping spam on member's profile page. Well so had no other option but take an evening out and write an addon myself... :(

Well, many thanks to Lawrence's Creating Addon tutorial which showed me where to start. I had created an addon earlier but that was for template inserts using hooks following the video by Kier (and pretty much done in half an hour).

My AntiSPAM addon is live on my site right now and no spam profileposts seen so far! :D Basically what it does is prevent a profile post if there's a link or email in it and the user does not have set number of posts.

Now I am planning to include PC, replies, newthread also in that and use phrases in it. Once I am done, I plan to release it here, which should be in a couple of days.

Would you like this thread moving to resource discussions?

Sure... if it fits there better.

Well, my code quality does not match yours. I did this because I had no choice... :) But I fully intend to improve upon it and release it here. I am having a little trouble understanding Xenforo's BBCode parsing class which converts the links.

Code quality doesn't match yours....

*ouch*

At least ragtek's attitude is a lot better. For a ninja, you kinda suck dude.

Code quality doesn't match yours....

*ouch*

At least ragtek's attitude is a lot better. For a ninja, you kinda suck dude.

Is there a rhetoric to this message or is it an inside joke Floris, I couldn't make my mind up... I would want to know before I say it's very rude.

Ok then, I didn't get it as I suffer from severe English disorder if that's make any sense :D
That is the problem with truly international sites such as xf.com, there is a language issue.

The way I read it - sadikb was trying to be humble, not rude.

That is the problem with truly international sites such as xf.com, there is a language issue.

The way I read it - sadikb was trying to be humble, not rude.

Oh Dean I understood sadikb when he said what he said, I didn't quite do the response Floris made... That being said, no need to make a fuzz of it on my side. Something that just bothered me for a sec.

Well, if it is meant to be humble, then my comment IS indeed uncalled for - because it's wrong.

Glad to hear otherwise! Sorry for English not being my first language and tricking me into it sounding to me like "I am not using yours, because you're code isn't even in the same league as mine" ..

"Well, my code quality does not match yours. I did this because I had no choice..."

If your code was any good, I could have used it, now I had no choice, and had to do it the right way .. Is how I read that. (read, passed tense)

Well, apologies to the ninja! Thanks for pointing it out guys.

Wow... I sleep for a few hours and where this thread has got to!

Well to clear the air, what I was saying is that Ragtek is an experienced coder and his code quality is very good. The way his addons make use of the Xenforo Framework is quite superior. I was going through his code and I learned quite a few things. Since this is my first serious attempt at an addon, it's obviously nowhere as good as Ragtek's. I said so because I did not want him to stop developing his similar Mod because of mine.

I hope that's clear now... :)

Top Bottom