Joomla To Wordpress - Seeing The Error Of My Ways

When I finished doing all the bits and pieces, I am going to change the forum nav into the same as the WP nav, as it also has a second tier the same as XF uses, that I am not using on the CMS at present. So should be able to get a similar, near identical design across both once time permits.

When I finished doing all the bits and pieces, I am going to change the forum nav into the same as the WP nav, as it also has a second tier the same as XF uses, that I am not using on the CMS at present. So should be able to get a similar, near identical design across both once time permits.

The trick to have a seamless integration between both software is to use the same CSS and JS files ... so when someone hits either application (WP or xF) the browser loads everything at once.
Have your designer combine both CSS files into one .. same for the Javascripts.

The trick to have a seamless integration between both software is to use the same CSS and JS files ... so when someone hits either application (WP or xF) the browser loads everything at once.
Have your designer combine both CSS files into one .. same for the Javascripts.
You can't. Wordpress and XenForo use different html structure.
What you need is to recreate the style for another system.

You can't. Wordpress and XenForo use different html structure.
What you need is to recreate the style for another system.

I am talking about the file structure. when a user is on WP then navigates to xF the browser already got all the CSS and JS needed and no flashing effect happens

I am talking about the file structure. when a user is on WP then navigates to xF the browser already got all the CSS and JS needed and no flashing effect happens
Maybe it's a nice idea but your CSS will be very very large and you have to make it all in XenForo templates since it combines all css into one single file.

Maybe it's a nice idea but your CSS will be very very large and you have to make it all in XenForo templates since it combines all css into one single file.

A smart designer will use the same classes .. Wordpress is flexible enough

Please don't mix them!
Wordpress - blogging system
Joomla - CMS

Please read this: http://wordpress.org/news/2010/11/cms-award/
'We have to be careful because if this trend continues people might think WordPress is a real CMS, useful for more than just a blog. This would ruin our stealth campaign and might bring dozens of new users to the WordPress community. If you could keep this on the DL we’d appreciate it.
We don’t want WordPress to develop a reputation.'

^^^lmfaooooo

WordPress is a delight if you need to get something up quick and easily, it's also fairly easy to extend.

Joomla, well, you couldn't pay me touch it nowadays. I once inherited a site for a department at a major university, which was powered by it (they now use a homegrown solution built using the Django framework). While there are tons of modules and components out there, quality is lacking. We had to roll a lot of our own stuff, even though components/modules for what we wanted existed. Development on its creaky foundation caused nothing but headaches. At times it really felt like, "what's going to break today?" If you're just wanting an easy to setup CMS for a fairly small site, then I guess Joomla isn't so bad; otherwise, I'd stay clear.

That said, from a development stand point, I'd choose neither and go with Drupal instead.

Top Bottom