javascript help: onload functions please please please help me.

EQnoble

I wanted to know if someone knew how to change this function into a script so I can get it out of my html and make my addon not need a template edit to PAGE_CONTAINER

this is how I am using it now which requires editing a template.
<body onload="mything()">

Thanks ahead of time SO MUCH

I have solved my problem....thanks everyone anyways. I think I figured out how to solve problems....find the correct definition for what I can't figure out how to do so I can search it :)
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
function addLoadEvent(func) {
  var oldonload = window.onload;
  if (typeof window.onload != 'function') {
    window.onload = func;
  } else {
    window.onload = function() {
      if (oldonload) {
        oldonload();
      }
      func();
    }
  }
}
addLoadEvent(mything);
</script>

Don't use window.onload if you can possibly avoid it.

Use the jQuery syntax instead:
Code:
$(function()
{
// this code will run on DOM ready
});

Thanks and good that you caught me... I was just going to release the mod this is for...
Code:
$(function()
{
addLoadEvent(myThing);
});

Is that the right usage?....I swapped it with the code i posted above and it does not work...I can send you a link to show you what exactly it is if it helps?

as you can probably tell I know nothing about js :-)

I should note that this has to run after the page finishes loading if that makes a difference

hah i am such a nubcake...and just did some reading.

Is this how I should call it if possible?
Code:

$(function()
{
myThing();
});

</script>

update:

I tested it and it loads fine so if it looks like the preferable way I believe I am ready to release my new addon I believe.

hah i am such a nubcake...and just did some reading.

Is this how I should call it if possible?
Code:

$(function()
{
myThing();
});

</script>

update:

I tested it and it loads fine so if it looks like the preferable way I believe I am ready to release my new addon I believe.
Looks fine in theory Ant. Question: Why are you using window.onload if it's loading last? Why not use $(document).ready instead?
.ready( handler )

handler A function to execute after the DOM is ready.
http://api.jquery.com/ready/
Something like this (untested):
Code:
$(document).ready(function() {
    myThing() // remove the onload code from your function and just call the raw function
});

This also works...thanks James. I am going to release the mod using this...I probably should have mentioned before that I needed it to run after the doc is loaded. Awesome.

$(document).ready(function() { myThing(); });

is identical to

$(function() { myThing(); });

By the way, onload and DOMready are not the same thing. Very few things should ever use window.onload (or $(window).load(...); ) because it only fires after everything has finished loading - images, ads, the lot. DOMready is far more useful - and that is what is used by $(function() { ... });

Hmm i am kind of stuck then I don't know what I should be using then...

So let me see if I understand this correctly Kier...

I am thinking DOMready will fire after the construction of the page is loaded while window.onload will fire only after the page hierarchy and the contents are fully loaded.

So if my addon can run using DOMready I should use that by default?

Hmm i am kind of stuck then I don't know what I should be using then...

So let me see if I understand this correctly Kier...

I am thinking DOMready will fire after the construction of the page is loaded while window.onload will fire only after the page hierarchy and the contents are fully loaded.

So if my addon can run using DOMready I should use that by default?
DOMready fires when the HTML has finished downloading. It does not wait for images, CSS, async-JS, Flash, ads etc.

Unless you have a very good reason to use onLoad, use DOMready instead:
Code:
$(function()
{
alert('I will fire on DOM ready');
});

Top Bottom