[J] Ban VPN and Proxies [Deleted]

Yes, I was looking thru my list and that's the first thing I was going to ask.

I'm using [bd] Cache 1.2.3 from XFROCKS.

I need that add-on installed so if that's what it is please correct it.

Thanks...

okay i will check and BD cache has an option to enable or disable AMP pages, till i fix the amp issue you can disable the amp rendering in bd cache option.

Also, I noticed the cron job is now gone from the list, any reason for that?

will send a update now.

Why does a site want to ban VPN and proxy usage? Interested in learning/understanding, not challenging.
With so much government intrusion and monitoring on internet usage, many people use proxy's and VPN's as a matter of course.

Well, I hate it when users register then I go to look and there is no stored ip address or the location is way off. If you are using the User Map or similar add-on for example it causes problems. I actually went thru my user list and deleted every single account that didn't have a stored ip address.
okay i will check and BD cache has an option to enable or disable AMP pages, till i fix the amp issue you can disable the amp rendering in bd cache option.

Thanks, I turned off that mobile AMP rendering for now until you can fix it and installed the last update and the cron is back now.

It looks like the replacement Thread.php code may have worked, but I'll let you know. I don't want to speak to soon...

What I notice now is when I enter say like my http://domain.com/forums/ into one of those proxy websites I no longer see my main forum page with a lot of the images. It just comes up to a blank white page that says "Your IP address has been banned. We don't allow using VPN services here." which is what I want. Before it only did that if I entered http://mydomain.com Now it does it if I enter http://mydomain.com/forums/ and etc. so I think it may have worked and it was the [bd] Cache add-on doing it.

Anyway, just a suggestion about the default message that comes up, "Your IP address has been banned. We don't allow using VPN services here." Is there anyway you could add the option to where we could customize that message and/or even direct it to our own customom page?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Anyway, just a suggestion about the default message that comes up, "Your IP address has been banned. We don't allow using VPN services here." Is there anyway you could add the option to where we could customize that message and/or even direct it to our own customom page?

You can edit this template to customize the message : j_error

You can use HTML here. ;)

It looks like replacing the entire Thread.php code worked. I was getting one of the errors around every 20 to 30 minutes and now they are gone and it's been almost 2 hours now...

I replaced the word "banned" with "blocked" in the error message because it might piss people off. "Banned" is pretty harsh. Anyway, you might consider adding the option to change the message where the whitelist option is so people don't have to go in there and modify the template manually.

I replaced the word "banned" with "blocked" in the error message because it might piss people off. "Banned" is pretty harsh. Anyway, you might consider adding the option to change the message where the whitelist option is so people don't have to go in there and modify the template manually

Will consider this in next update ;)

One last thing, is there anyway to make it to where the banned VPN's get deleted after a certain amount on time, via a time limit setting or a cron? I'm asking because that banned ip list is going to grow fairly large after a certain amount of time and not only that, sooner or later some poor smuck with a dynamic ip address will get banned when they try to log in or register because their ip address might still be on the list. I don’t think it’s wise to ban the ip addresses permantely. The only issue though is it would need to record which ip address get added to the list via this add-on. You wouldn’t want it to delete every ip on the list because the admin might have added a few of them manually on purpose.

Last edited:
It looks like replacing the entire Thread.php code worked. I was getting one of the errors around every 20 to 30 minutes and now they are gone and it's been almost

I replaced the word "banned" with "blocked" in the error message because it might piss people off. "Banned" is pretty harsh. Anyway, you might consider adding the option to change the message where the whitelist option is so people don't have to go in there and modify the template manually.

Got any error ?? Anyhow I had added the option. Will be releasing update soon.

One last thing, is there anyway to make it to where the banned VPN's get deleted after a certain amount on time, via a time limit setting or a cron? I'm asking because that banned ip list is going to grow fairly large after a certain amount of time and not only that, sooner or later some poor smuck with a dynamic ip address will get banned when they try to log in or register because their ip address might still be on the list. I don’t think it’s wise to ban the ip addresses permantely. The only issue though is it would need to record which ip address get added to the list via this add-on. You wouldn’t want it to delete every ip on the list because the admin might have added a few of them manually on purpose.

This is 50% done, but nothing can be done about the IP's already added by add-on till new version is released I.e the ip banned by new version will be deleted by cron job.

Got any error ?? Anyhow I had added the option. Will be releasing update soon.

Nope, the errors are gone, and Cool...

This is 50% done, but nothing can be done about the IP's already added by add-on till new version is released I.e the ip banned by new version will be deleted by cron job.

Way Cool...!!!

Yeah, it really needs to be added because those banned ip addresses sooner or later will get refurbished by some poor user with a dynamic ip address. Either an option to set the banned time limit or via a cron.

I was getting ready to upgrade to the new version 3 and when I logged into my ACP the below notice error had just happened a few minuities before. It’s with version 2 though.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed the new version 3 just now, but I wanted to post the error below that happened right before I went to upgrade. It’s only happened the one time.

Code:
Error Info
Undefined index: HTTP_USER_AGENT - library/Justin/JProxy/ControllerPublic/Page.php:88

Stack Trace
#0 /home/me/public_html/library/Justin/JProxy/ControllerPublic/Page.php(88): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/home/me/p...', 88, Array)
#1 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): Justin_JProxy_ControllerPublic_Page->actionIndex()
#2 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#3 /home/me/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}

Request State
Array
(
    [url] => http://www.mydomain.com/
    [_GET] => Array
        (
        )

[_POST] => Array
        (
        )

)

Why does a site want to ban VPN and proxy usage? Interested in learning/understanding, not challenging.
With so much government intrusion and monitoring on internet usage, many people use proxy's and VPN's as a matter of course.
I believe android and Apple will begin shipping their future devices with A default VPN service sooner than later. It's just good practice anymore. In the USA they just made it legal for all ISPs to collect your meta-data and sell it. in Australia I believe it's required for all online merchants to collect metadata also. Unless these entities want to start profit sharing with me and my data I will do everything in my power to keep it private. And certainly the number of people that also feel this way is growing exponentially.

I just got one more of the notice errors again that I just posted today and now with v3.0. It's funny how I didn't start getting those until today, but it's happening with v2.0 and v3.0

Everything else seems to be working fine though...

I believe android and Apple will begin shipping their future devices with A default VPN service sooner than later. It's just good practice anymore.

That's not going to happen anytime soon especially here in the U.S. The wireless providers wouldn't allow it. If anything, what they would do is start offering VPN service plans at a premium price.

There are third party apps you can buy and download, but they are very limited and you could be even more at risk using one of those services. You never know what that 3rd party is up to.

Hello @JustinHawk ,

I have a problem.

After adding IPs to the whitelist, the next day it's even IP are again banned.

When to make an IP in the white list, no longer generates by blocking?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

VanillaNeko

Hello @JustinHawk ,

I have a problem.

After adding IPs to the whitelist, the next day it's even IP are again banned.

When to make an IP in the white list, no longer generates by blocking?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

VanillaNeko
Can you make me sure that you have removed the ip from banned ip address otherwise it will automatically get removed from database after 24 hours , I tested it on my forum and it's working without any issues for me.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was saying the IP's he adds to the whitelist show up on the banned list again like after 24hrs.

If so I wonder if he didn't disable the new whitelist delete corn you added when you added the one for the banned list. I disabled that one on mine because I don’t want the whitelist getting auto-deleted on a schedule. I just set the banned list delete cron to run twice a week, but I disabled the whitelist delete cron.

If his whitelist delete cron is running every day then when it clears that list the IP’s will start showing up on the banned list again.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was saying the IP's he adds to the whitelist show up on the banned list again like after 24hrs.

If so I wonder if he didn't disable the new whitelist delete corn you added when you added the one for the banned list. I disabled that one on mine because I don’t want the whitelist getting auto-deleted on a schedule. I just set the banned list delete cron to run twice a week, but I disabled the whitelist delete cron.

If his whitelist delete cron is running every day then when it clears that list the IP’s will start showing up on the banned list again.

1.There is no cron job added for IP whitelisted via admin cp options. The whitelist cron is there for cleaning db of ip that are detected clean by iphub only.

2. I tested the way you explained above and manually executed the crons and on my end everything went as expected.

1.There is no cron job added for IP whitelisted via admin cp options. The whitelist cron is there for cleaning db of ip that are detected clean by iphub only.

Oh, ok... I had wondered why you added the second one that said whitelist. I assumed it was for people who wanted to delete what was on their whitelist after a certain amount of time passed. There was no clear mention of that added to the update description other than "Added cron to delete ip added by ban system (run only one time in a day)" and you added both at the same time.

Do you know if the rest of the bots on the list below will get blocked by this Ban VPN and Proxies add-on? I'm guessing some of them might. Alexa and Yandex are getting thru, but what about the others? I probably should make sure Bing and Yahoo are getting through at a minimum.

The guy who does the add-on below just added the robot controls to it so I no longer need the other one installed and I added Google Proxy to the list like you recommended in case people who are using that feature via their Chrome browser can get through, but what about any of the others on the list below?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/acp-extended-acpe.5277/

Untitled.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom